Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keepin busy: 2002 Deuce

Default Keepin busy: 2002 Deuce

I am constantly working on bikes. Generally with the owners, hanging out and sometimes teaching. I don't do it for the money, I do it to help and for the brotherhood.

However...now on the lift, is a 2002 HD Softail Deuce. I have a budget and bardered some home painting for my work. So I guess my first drop off and paid job.

its been rode hard and put away wet several times. Despite its ruff exterior its still a solid running bike. Rides smooth and likes the right grip twisted.

Here's how it came to the garage...

Rusted heat shields from dragging them (bikes from Fort Brag area)

Bald rear tire

Wonder why? See little pieces of burnt rubber

SE tuner

K&N air filter at least

So under close supervision I pulled the rear wheel for tire replacement

Always take a pic of the rear axle and spacers for future reference

Found a broken belt gaurd that I fixed

new rear tire and ready for an oil change

Primary oil was dirty

Adjusted the clutch

New gasket and primary drain plug
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Trans oil was in good shape

Engine oil not so much

I also, lubed and adjusted all the cables, lubed up the kickstand which was sticking, washed the bike between rear wheel and oil change, obviously put rear belt deflection to spec when installing rear wheel, checking primary chain, replacing the spark plugs and dielectric both ends of both plug wires... but we continue
    As previously shown the exhaust heat shields were BEAT. I removed them

So I sanded them a bit...

Just to realize that was going to cut it and took a sandpaper wheel to them to remove the stuburn rust. Got it all off and used some VHT ceramic on them

About 70% of the tips chrome flaked off so I decided that would go black as well. The bolt on the bottom was ground down so instead of drilling it out and making a larger job of it, simply taped off and used the same ceramic spray

More coats

in the meantime I worked on the shifter assembly of the forward control. it was super sloppy and floppy. Disassembled it

pressed in the new bearings

And you wouldn't believe it... put it back together and its solid and smooth
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Finished up the ceramic spray on the heat shields and put it all back together... WOW it turned out great.

I think the black tip looks fantastic on the end

Still to come... I have to pull the dashboard, speedo, gas tank, petcock, and gas gauge. Need to clean the petcock and figure out why the speedo and gas gauge aren't working.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

That's great, how long it take you to do all that?

Um... not long. I have done all of it before... I haven't kept track... I have worked allot this week so I haven't had much time to devote to it. Hence why I have left the gas tank stuff for a day off. IDK... maybe 4hrs. I'm just guessing... its been spread over all this week.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Is the guy you're doing the work for the original owner? Is he the one that let it get this way, or did he buy it used?

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

I think he's the owner. He's a crazy fucker... honestly. He's in army special forces... I just dont think its part of his priorities.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Well, there ain't nothing wrong with a rat bike as long as it's mechanically sound.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

True and that is the case here I believe.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Well I'm a bit disappointed in the HD service manual. It gives me next to nothing on trouble shooting these pieces of the speedo/gas problems.

I pulled the dash

Drained and Pulled the tank

Pulled the sending unit from the tank

And this is the only piece that they give any info on for checking the parts

The clip on the back of the swivel of the gauge sending unit was loose. I checked the range operation with ohms and it seems to be in the range specified in the book. The wiring don't look bad at first glance. Need to check for proper voltage on bike and check fuel gauge operation. But with what numbers? The manual gives me nothing.

Same goes for the speedo not working. Nothing for troubleshooting in the manual.

Tells you how to remove it but that's it.

Anybody have any info on testing the gas gauge, speedo, and speedo sensor??? I pulled each unit from the bike and may also see what the dealer says. I'm checking on some hd forums as well. Hopefully somebody has something of numbers so I can troubleshoot the components.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"