Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate these "custom" shops.

Default I hate these "custom" shops.

I can't tell you how many "custom" bike builders I've contacted about parts on their site for size info. and what not and them reply with "I have no clue what size the part is." You'd think these "custom" builders would know a little more about the products they sell. Even if they are not actually making them.

I am learning that feeling oh so well.

They don't know because most of them are building what boils down to a kit bike. They know what parts to order to put it together. That's one of the issues I always had with American Chopper. On the other hand, Jesse James used to fabricate everything including the frame.

'Kits' are great for a guy like me or you, but when you start calling yourself a custom bike builder you better be doing something more than pretty paint.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

I will repeat some of the following sayings of mine...

Cool ain't cheap

Custom don't bolt on

Shit like that comes to be learned by somebody if you turn enough wrenchs on these things. I'm not sure what custom shops you have been calling but I'm sure they aren't the normal greasers.

I know a couple old greaser guys. One in Birch Run and one in Hamburg. Both a good hike but they are old school and know their shit.

Further, have to you tried Detroit Bros?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I don't have anything to add to this, but Gas Man damn that GIF is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast View Post
    They don't know because most of them are building what boils down to a kit bike. They know what parts to order to put it together. That's one of the issues I always had with American Chopper. On the other hand, Jesse James used to fabricate everything including the frame.

'Kits' are great for a guy like me or you, but when you start calling yourself a custom bike builder you better be doing something more than pretty paint.
    What really pisses me off is these builder selling Kraft / Tech and other brands as their own brand and selling it for 20 times what the stuff really is because someone thinks they are getting a custom parts. LOL Buyer beware. That's how I started selling KT stuff. I was finding all of these shops carried KT and sold it under their shop name for 10 times what you could get it at a normal shop.

Bob, now carry engines and trannies

Quote Originally Posted by vortech302 View Post
    I don't have anything to add to this, but Gas Man damn that GIF is funny.
    Yeah... I like it. Can't take it too seriously... just like life...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Agree... bolt on "kit" custom builders. Those OCC guys are a scam and let their fame go to their head. Such pricks that think they are hot shit. Be glad you made all that money from doing nothing! sheesh!
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Sh*t... WHAT A RIDE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    Agree... bolt on "kit" custom builders. Those OCC guys are a scam and let their fame go to their head. Such pricks that think they are hot shit. Be glad you made all that money from doing nothing! sheesh!
    I heard they took John's chop (John and Kate Plus Eight) away from him! I haven't seen an episode of American Chopper in a few years, but for some reason I saw that one. Pop took Kate for a spin, what a train wreck.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.