Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! My Kawasaki Knocks

Default HELP! My Kawasaki Knocks

I have a 98 Kawasaki Vulcan en 500 that the Motor Knocks.* I think its the rocker arm (lifters) I tried to use a feeler guage to gap right but not sure if I did it right or not.* All I know is that the knocking didn't get any better, and don't want to take the bike apart again till I can figure a better way to adjust the rocker arm, or whatever is the problem with it.* Any idea how to fix my bike?* I only get about 40 miles to the gallon where I should get more like 60 mpg.* I don't have a lot of money to take it in to get it fixed, being that I am a father of 2.* I just enjoy riding as I'm sure must of you do.* But my bike doesn't sound so great. Any ideas would be great, or if someone that could take a look to would be great too.*

Thanks Rusty

Default Re: HELP! My Kawasaki Knocks

What kind of gas are you running?

If regular, try taking it to the middle grade, if no success, try premium gas.* Some bikes just need more quality gas to run properly.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Sh*t... WHAT A RIDE!"

Also, what sort of knocking?* Is it a new noise or something that has been there for a while?
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

The knocking has been that way since I got it.* Knocking gets fast if I give it turn the throttle.* I way even need the carbs cleaned.* Brother also left the bike outside year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic
    The knocking has been that way since I got it.* *Knocking gets fast if I give it turn the throttle.* I way even need the carbs cleaned.* Brother also left the bike outside year round.
    Is it a loud knock or just a ticking?

I guess its more like a ticking.* I wish I could attach a clip, But it would be bigger then 128 kb. I could send you a clip for those who would like to hear what i'm talking about.

Rusty

I'm guessing its carbed and not fuel injected?

Yeah, I don't think its fuel injected.*

A "knock" can be alot of different things. You're going to have to zero in on where the noise comes from, otherwise, we just keep throwing out answers, and you keep not getting anywhere.

If you have a long screwdriver, you can rest the tip against the engine case, (while running) and put your ear to the handle and you can "hear" inside the motor that way. Like you would with a stethoscope.

Zero in on the noise area, and we can probably be more help.

In the meantime, how many miles? Is it low on oil? How dirty is the oil? And what city do you live in? I wouldn't be opposed to a troubleshooting visit if you're not too far away.*

Yeah it is carbed, not fuel injected. has the same motor thats in the Kawasaki ninja 500