Thread: Hey Chris

Question Hey Chris

I'm not seeing any way to adjust the tension on the drive belt. There are no tensioners at the rear axle. Is it done from the front, under the cover? Also, do you know what the deflection range is for a 6 speed?

I haven't bought a service manual yet, the owner's manual doesn't give any info other than take it to the shop. I do have a Harley tension gauge. It seems a bit loose, but since I don't have the spec I'm not sure.

Unless I miss understood,
    you have to move the rear axle to adjust belt tension.

About 3/8" for deflection for most HD's if not all I believe.

"About 3/8". That's close, but the range changes from a 4 to 5 speed tranny, mine is 6. The dealer supposedly adjusted everything before it left the shop, but it feels loose to me, and the gauge says it's about 1/2". That may be ok for this bike, not sure.

Yeah, I know how to do it, the problem is there are no tension adjusters at the rear axle. No bolts, no brackets. Every bike I've ever had was adjusted using the same method, but unless I'm missing something this one is different.

OK, got it. There's a cam on each end of the axle that pushes against a stop on the frame. Evidently Harley sells a tool to adjust the cam. I'll stop and get one, now I just need to know if 5/16-3/8"" is a good range, like the 5 speeds.

There is no tool. Simple loosen the nut on the axle and then spin. Those cams are welded to the axle so as you turn it, it pushes each side of the rear wheel out equally. It is the best thing EVER!

That's is a good range. Your bike will have a meter on the belt gaurd like this. Each mark is 1/8"

Remember its at 10# deflection. And that is one tool you should get. I have a motion pro version but hd sells one as well.

Here's a how to I copied over from one of my other forums.

http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/forums...read.php?t=740

That may answer a lot of questions. I will also PM you my phone # for whichever.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Yep, I already have the HD tension gauge, know about the slash marks on the lower guard.

So I loosen the axle nut and spin the axle, no additional allignment needed eh? That's COOL!

One thing I noticed, I can't get the gauge in between the guard sides at the slash marks, it has to go in front of the guard. According to the instructions with the tool, that's correct. On my Sporty it said to measure it midway between the sprockets, can't do it on this bike.

Yep, no additional alignment needed. Like I said "Welcome to the FLH family, you'll enjoy it here!"

I usually get my gauge in some where near mid way. The thing to remember is that its not rocket science and that if you're not a half twit you'll be fine. Just look at some of the society anchors working on bikes and yet they still stay together by some means. Use good or, that ever so dissappearing thing, common sense and you'll be GTG.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"