Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'New' Road King

Can't beat the grin and bugs.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Actually I'm in Allen Park, hopefully Southgate within a month.

Ok, I thought Dundee. I swear there was someone from this board in Dundee, anyone know who it is? (was?)

Maybe I'm all wet.

Oh yeah, the QR backrest came in yesterday, no windshield until Monday. For some reason I was under the impression the docking kit was already on the bike, but it must've been another one I looked at. No matter, the dealer was on top of it and ordered the whole thing.

Opening the box was an adventure. Quite a bit of parts for a backrest, and some you don't need depending on the model. The instructions have a note:

"The brackets are different, left and right. They must be mounted so the stamped letters face outward with the F and R at the front and rear of the bracket repsectively."

Cool.

Problem. One is stamped correctly, the other is stamped on the inside of the bracket, not the outside. Their diagrams are ok but a lot of the figures are photos, very difficult to see. I spent about 30 minutes sorting out what made sense, then about 2 hours to dissasemble the bike and install everything. As I did, I found a couple of missing bolts. Someone was in there before. One of the missing bolts was just a chrome cover, but the other was the main support for the left side of the frame extension, beyond the fender mount.

It didn't want to line up properly. I had to loosen the top frame extension bolts all the way and have my kid push down on the frame to get it in. Probably why the schmoe left it out. But it's back in now, along with the other missing bolt.

Got it all back together, took it for a ride and nothing fell off, so I guess I did it right!

SnoFrog is near Dundee.

Glad to hear you are getting it together. You probably installed nearly the same half of my kit as shown in this post http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/forums...1&postcount=47

When i did mine I started with the directions and ended up throwing them to the side and doing it off what I was seeing. Worked much better that way.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Yeah, once I figured out which bracket went where (based on the misstamped parts) I referred to the directions only enough to make sure I was using the correct spacers for this model. The first side took a while, second side took 20 minutes.

The instructions say to relocate the left shock air line so it goes over the top of the shock mount. I don't have a pump or a good pressure gauge that goes down to 2 or 3 pounds, so I didn't want to disconnect the line. I left it as is. After relocating the valve to the new bracket I checked clearances to the tire and everything is fine. No way the air lines can hit anything or get pinched.

Eventually I want to get a tour pack that I can swap out for the bar.

Yeah get the HD air suspension hand pump. Its real nice and is the only way to go. You don't want to use an air compressor. I have one and its nice.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"