Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The end is near.

Default The end is near.

_________
    Roll away the dew...

Yeah, it's a sad day but I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Emissions standards keep getting tighter and tighter. Im assuming Vance and Hines and others that sell tuners will be next. Hopefully the new motor from HD has enough power that folks don't feel they have to add a stage 1 or better right off the showroom floor. Dealers will be losing some money though if they can't "tune" your new bike any longer.

What if I won't sell it back to them?
    2016 CVO street glide, D&D fat cat, 585 cams, 12" yaffe bars

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor05 View Post
    What if I won't sell it back to them?
    A bit beside the point, the high level point is the EPA going after after market modifications.

This is bad.

I think pressure will mount to make it very difficult for aftermarket products to tap into the ECM.

And by the way, one of the equipment companys - I cant remember if it was Catarpillar, IH, or Deere was on its way to the supreme court on the notion that the code that resides in their control modules is their intellectual property, even so far as to make the claim that they should get paid for used sales of their vehicles.

There might be an angle for 3rd party replacement ECMs, but that too could fall under the EPA control where they could make it illegal to sell a 3rd party ECM that is not EPA compliant.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

well I guess since harleys are melting the polar caps then this makes sense

Meh... it's because HD is a manufacture of the bike with guidelines, and selling those items could be construed as bypassing these regulations.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Meh... it's because HD is a manufacture of the bike with guidelines, and selling those items could be construed as bypassing these regulations.
    I think its more dangerous than that. Look at what California does with aftermarket exhaust. If you think this only affects Harley and not the aftermarket, I think you will be unpleasantly surprised.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

[IMG][/IMG]

Yep, the tuners themselves arent a big loss for HD. The bigger picture is If you can't tune the bike theres no point in aftermarket intakes, cams, exhaust. Etc. The dealer's and HD make a ton of money selling and installing those parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagnabit View Post
    Yep, the tuners themselves arent a big loss for HD. The bigger picture is If you can't tune the bike theres no point in aftermarket intakes, cams, exhaust. Etc. The dealer's and HD make a ton of money selling and installing those parts.
    I plan on calling a shop tomorrow to see if they can still tune with this, if so I will be keeping mine