Thread: I have a question about my new motorcycle lift.

Default I have a question about my new motorcycle lift.

Ok, so I bought a used pitbull motorcycle lift. It's an older one but in good shape. The question I have is should I just change out the bottle jack to be safe. The lift itself is around 15 years old. I'm not sure how long the seals on those things are supposed to last. I can still buy a replacement one direct from pitbull. Should I just use it until I have issues or spend a couple bucks for peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagnabit View Post
    Ok, so I bought a used pitbull motorcycle lift. It's an older one but in good shape. The question I have is should I just change out the bottle jack to be safe. The lift itself is around 15 years old. I'm not sure how long the seals on those things are supposed to last. I can still buy a replacement one direct from pitbull. Should I just use it until I have issues or spend a couple bucks for peace of mind.
    My vote is for peace of mind. I imagine the seals, if the jack is used properly, would last a long time but you don't know how carefully/carelessly it was used.

I have a J&S jack, I live in fear of getting stuck on it. As I'm sure you do, I don't let the bottle jack support the weight of the bike, after I jack it up, I put the support struts on and let the pressure off the bottle jack so the weight of the bike is being born by the support struts, not the bottle jack, I figure that approach extends the life of it.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Are you guys kidding me? This is an easy one. That bottle jack is just fine, unless that thing has been sitting at the bottom of a lake or ocean for the past 15 years it should be just fine. Take a look inside the bleeder screw (lay on side so oil don't spill out) and make sure the oil level is of sufficient amount that it doesn't "run out" of juice at the top end. Bottle jacks are simple hydraulic pumps, there is a well in the bottom that the pump takes from to send to the chamber above that pushes the ram out. If and I do mean IF the seals are bad, there is one, then you will know when you go to jack it up and the stuff oozes around the ram with little to no movement. My Dad has a bottle jack that HIS Dad gave him that still works like a champ to lift his motor home and it doesn't skip a beat. Each pump pushes that puppy, all 15,000 lbs of it, right up.

But, that's just my opinion
    Caveman

Here's my 10, my 2 are free

I'm with caveman on this one. If the bottle jack works use it.

if it ain;t broke don't fix it.

Yeah, I think ill hang tight with it for now unless I have an issue. Seems really well made, glad i went with it over the craftsman or harbor freight ones i was considering.

I'm with Cave on this.

Also with Kosher... always enable the safety. Then if for some reason it gets stuck up with the bike on it... there are ways around that.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"