Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Default Tires

I visited a dealer in warren today and got in a discussion about tires with their mechanic as they wholesale tires there.I told him that I wasnt happy with my metzelers because of the stress cracks,He said that the problem was I ran my tires underinflated at 31Lbs which is what my manual says is the recommended pressure and that I should be running closer to 40lbs?
    So I asked him about the dunlop elites as mentioned in another thread he said the avons and continentals were better tires.
    What do you guys think truth or BS?

the manual list tire pressure for the tires that came stock on the bike. I've been running Dunlop E3's on my 1500 wing since I got it back in '08 but which ever tire you decide to buy make sure it is load rated for your Harley when it is fully loaded
    william

I have a triumph with OEM tires running at the recommended psi per the manual and the sticker on the bike also.I was mainly surprised at the statemenr of running 10lbs over at 40lbs.Does anybody else do that?

I always suggest running your tire at your vehicles suggested psi. NOT what the tire company says.

heck, think of it this way. With the new TPMS on cars, you have to inflate them at what the computer for Ford/GM/Dodge says; otherwise you'll have a tire light on.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    I always suggest running your tire at your vehicles suggested psi. NOT what the tire company says. heck, think of it this way. With the new TPMS on cars, you have to inflate them at what the computer for Ford/GM/Dodge says; otherwise you'll have a tire light on.
    Its funny you said that cause the guy picked out a tire for my bike that said 40 lbs on the tire not the recommended 31lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    I always suggest running your tire at your vehicles suggested psi. NOT what the tire company says.

heck, think of it this way. With the new TPMS on cars, you have to inflate them at what the computer for Ford/GM/Dodge says; otherwise you'll have a tire light on.
    My bike has a tire light & tells pressure on infotainment screen. It won't be long till that feature is on all the bikes
    2016 CVO street glide, D&D fat cat, 585 cams, 12" yaffe bars

Quote Originally Posted by leebo View Post
    Its funny you said that cause the guy picked out a tire for my bike that said 40 lbs on the tire not the recommended 31lbs.
    Funny thing is... the tire spec is usually max PSI. But that doesn't mean you have to run that. After all it's not like we are talking about the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor05 View Post
    My bike has a tire light & tells pressure on infotainment screen. It won't be long till that feature is on all the bikes
    True.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Well i upped my psi to 35lbs today.went out for a little 50 mile ride seemed ok.

I'm running the American Elite's and I keep the tires at factory recommended pressure 36 psi Front and 40 psi rear
    I have over 3,000 miles on them now...love the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger Dave View Post
    I'm running the American Elite's and I keep the tires at factory recommended pressure 36 psi Front and 40 psi rearI have over 3,000 miles on them now...love the ride!
    Tire factory or Harley?