Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default suspension

So I went to triumph dealer looking for one of those new street twins and they were "all sold out"Was casually talkin with one of the salesman who told me that if I put new progressive shocks on my bike that I would probably keep it. supposed to turn it into a "whole new bike" .
    So im thinking that would be a great winter project think I can do the rears OK but not sure about the fronts may have to have those done.

Quote Originally Posted by leebo View Post
    So I went to triumph dealer looking for one of those new street twins and they were "all sold out"Was casually talkin with one of the salesman who told me that if I put new progressive shocks on my bike that I would probably keep it. supposed to turn it into a "whole new bike" .
    So im thinking that would be a great winter project think I can do the rears OK but not sure about the fronts may have to have those done.
    Lee, the progressive's very well may transform your bike. The rears are easy, just supporting the bike. I've seen that done with bike jacks or hanging the rear of the bike off ceiling joists.

The fronts are too bad Lee. On one of these junk HD dressers I can do the job in 4 hours from start to done and cleaned up. I would suggest the nitrogen charged front mono shocks. Then depending on miles on the bike, probably best to be ready to or just do it... replacing the bushings and fork seals.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Lee, the progressive's very well may transform your bike. The rears are easy, just supporting the bike. I've seen that done with bike jacks or hanging the rear of the bike off ceiling joists. The fronts are too bad Lee. On one of these junk HD dressers I can do the job in 4 hours from start to done and cleaned up. I would suggest the nitrogen charged front mono shocks. Then depending on miles on the bike, probably best to be ready to or just do it... replacing the bushings and fork seals.
    Thanx Chris.Ill prob have the fronts done then and do the rears myself.they are due for oil chg anyways so get it all done together.

I have a question. what is the difference between the progressive suspension & the premium suspension offered by H-D
    2016 CVO street glide, D&D fat cat, 585 cams, 12" yaffe bars

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor05 View Post
    I have a question. what is the difference between the progressive suspension & the premium suspension offered by H-D
    Do you mean the coil over rears that they use on some of the FLH bikes instead of the stock air shocks??
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor05 View Post
    Here's a good explanation of the various types of shocks for Harleys: http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage26.html

From what I can tell from the chatter on HDForums, anything aftermarket would improve your ride. Progressives are very popular, but there are tons of others. Here's a good thread on just what you asked: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...le-shocks.html

The guy from Motorcycle Metal will modify and set up Ohlins specifically for you and gets rave reviews for his work and customer service.

But there are tons of other options, most of which seem to be reviewed favorably: Legend Revo, Pro-Action, Super Shox, Ultima, Race Tech, JRI, Burly, etc.

Then of course there are air ride systems. Some of our TWM gangstas are running these: http://www.skullycustoms.com/
    Last edited by Kosher; 07-30-2016 at 07:41 AM.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Thats a good one for the harley guys.

Progressive makes a few different shocks. I've talked to a few people who told me the lower end ones are not worth picking up. I looked at the 944 series for my bike, but 600 bucks was out of my price range this year. I put the money last year into a new seat and highway pegs to change my foot position and that made a huge difference in comfort for me.

Kosher is right once again.

And I will say that I love my rear air ride much more than my progressive 940's. That being said. I do have my progressives that I would sell you for about $200

Damn, I just installed the Harley lowered air shocks I picked up on eBay. I was having a hard time flatfooting the bike. What size shocks are those Chris?