Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10% Ethanol

Oh yeah... boys in their turbo'ed Subi's and Hondi been doing the E85 trick for a while. Do the math. 85% of 114 octane + 15% of 84 octane = 109.5 octane. That means you can run more timing and more power! They run so much cooler!
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Oh yeah... boys in their turbo'ed Subi's and Hondi been doing the E85 trick for a while. Do the math. 85% of 114 octane + 15% of 84 octane = 109.5 octane. That means you can run more timing and more power! They run so much cooler!
    don't forget add boost, I am running 30# of boost out of a 61mm turbo on a V6 in the neighborhood of 600HP
    2016 CVO street glide, D&D fat cat, 585 cams, 12" yaffe bars

All my reading on this subject says that all motor vehicles approved for road use since 1981 and possibly earlier will run safely with up to 10 percent ethanol "E10" with no harm to engine or fuel system. My personal belief is that this stuff does not stay as "fresh" without adding fuel stabilizer over long term storage.

You know the big thing for me is I been goin to this station at least 10 years and it just surprized me they added ethanol.

There are tax breaks and regulations.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

I thought ethanol was made from corn. I think it's pure shit gas. They claim that it will start breaking down in 30 days. I just sold a 750hp street rod and ran a lot of turbo blue 110 octane and there is no way I could run 89 octane ethanol . I'll run 89 ethanol free gas over 93 ethanol gas any day of the week. The epa wanted to make it 15% ethanol but they weren't able to pass it . If they ever do it will kill these air cooled engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat daddy View Post
    I thought ethanol was made from corn. I think it's pure shit gas. They claim that it will start breaking down in 30 days. I just sold a 750hp street rod and ran a lot of turbo blue 110 octane and there is no way I could run 89 octane ethanol . I'll run 89 ethanol free gas over 93 ethanol gas any day of the week. The epa wanted to make it 15% ethanol but they weren't able to pass it . If they ever do it will kill these air cooled engines.
    Ethanol is ethanol, no matter how its made.

It does attract moisture, but most of us have been using it (well, our gas is 10% anyway) for a few years now, and I'm not aware of any issues.

In the winter, I park my bike with a full tank of gas laced with the appropriate amount of Stabil and she starts right up in the spring without any problem.

Could be an issue I suppose if you let it sit, untreated, for long periods of time.

Look, I hate the stuff too, mostly on the notion that it is extremely bad public policy cloaked on the notion that it somehow promotes energy independence and/or environmental benefits and it does neither. Its 100% a matter of policy being driven by a powerful lobbying group: farmers.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Quote Originally Posted by Fat daddy View Post
    As much as you dislike it , for hotrod guys that run boosted cars it is a miracle fuel , a lot cheaper than turbo blue & a way cleaner fuel

This is a guy I know who's car runs E-85.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTzija-GwNE
    his brothers car doing work on the street
    https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=ryan%20bamford

Quote Originally Posted by Kosher View Post
    Ethanol is ethanol, no matter how its made.

It does attract moisture, but most of us have been using it (well, our gas is 10% anyway) for a few years now, and I'm not aware of any issues.

In the winter, I park my bike with a full tank of gas laced with the appropriate amount of Stabil and she starts right up in the spring without any problem.

Could be an issue I suppose if you let it sit, untreated, for long periods of time.

Look, I hate the stuff too, mostly on the notion that it is extremely bad public policy cloaked on the notion that it somehow promotes energy independence and/or environmental benefits and it does neither. Its 100% a matter of policy being driven by a powerful lobbying group: farmers.
    This Kosher guy is 100% spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor05 View Post
    As much as you dislike it , for hotrod guys that run boosted cars it is a miracle fuel , a lot cheaper than turbo blue & a way cleaner fuel
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor05 View Post
    This is a guy I know who's car runs E-85.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTzija-GwNE
    his brothers car doing work on the street
    https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=ryan%20bamford
    That's a nice GN.

The FB quote don't work.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"