Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10% Ethanol

Default 10% Ethanol

So i pulled into my favorite local gas station and they have new stickers on the pumps saying"may contain 10% ethanol".
    I am interested in what you mechanics have to say about that according to my manual Im supposed to be running at least 89 octane.
    Will the ethanol hurt anything or is 10% OK??
    Last edited by Kosher; 07-14-2016 at 05:56 PM.

I have 2700 miles on my bike I have only ever used Shell super in it. Ethanol is a fancy name for alcohol, alcohol is hard on rubber seals & gaskets, It won't have an immediate reaction but eventually will need to be addressed. If you do a search on putting E85 through your regular fuel lines it can give you an idea of what you are talking about ( E85 is 85% alcohol & 15% gasoline to keep people from drinking it, corn ethanol is the same chemical compound as grain alcohol AKA moonshine)
    2016 CVO street glide, D&D fat cat, 585 cams, 12" yaffe bars

Should be fine. Ethanol is an octane booster, but octane is octane, so if the pump says 93, it should be 93 whether it has ethanol or not.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Ethanol in fuel, but we've been using it for a while with no problems. (As long as you're putting it into a newer bike)

I have a bigger issue with ethanol *policy* in this country, which is completely moronic and brain dead, a pure giveaway to the farm lobby.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Quote Originally Posted by Kosher View Post
    Should be fine. Ethanol is an octane booster, but octane is octane, so if the pump says 93, it should be 93 whether it has ethanol or not.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Ethanol in fuel, but we've been using it for a while with no problems. (As long as you're putting it into a newer bike)

I have a bigger issue with ethanol *policy* in this country, which is completely moronic and brain dead, a pure giveaway to the farm lobby.
    My next hot rod build is going to be a 1500HP car that runs E85 or E92 (depending on availability)

I check this and get recreation gas whenever possible
    http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

A quote from triumph motorcycles

A member of our staff has responded to your request
    Subject: (ethanol).

Our response:
    Thanks for reaching out, we are always glad to help.

I run your request by one of our techniciens he told me that
    as for as fuel is concerned the bikes can run all the way up to 25 percent ethanol.

It will be fine... but be sure to get the correct octane rating. You have probably been running it anyway, they probably just didn't have the sticker.

Ethanol is like 110 or 114 octane... denatured alcohol.
    As far as the octane... the 87 starts it's life as 84, then they blend in the ethanol to get the 87 octane.
    For 89 they splash a little 91 in there to raise the 84 + E + a small blend of 91 to get the 89.
    Prem is 91 with the 10% E, making it the 93.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    As far as the octane... the 87 starts it's life as 84, then they blend in the ethanol to get the 87 octane.
    For 89 they splash a little 91 in there to raise the 84 + E + a small blend of 91 to get the 89.

He IS the GASMAN!
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide
    1967 Bell UH-1 Iroquois(Huey)

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Thks guyz! Just kinda surprised me been buying gas @ that station for years.naturally the workers there no nuthin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    It will be fine... but be sure to get the correct octane rating. You have probably been running it anyway, they probably just didn't have the sticker.

I run denatured alcohol in a separate tank on my turbo regal when the boost gets to 5# it starts spraying the more boost the more alcohol gets sprayed, the next boosted car I build will get straight E85
    [IMG][/IMG]