Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Gas Man's 2016 Mod Season

RANT ON!!!

WTF is wrong with these small businesses?!?!

In 2013 I sent my radio to Iron Cross Audio for major repairs due to hitting the deer. They did the repair and I was very happy. They said to make sure the fairing brackets were not damaged, which wasn't an issue because I was completely replacing all of that... cause deer. NO OTHER ADVISEMENTS. I reinstalled the radio, the amp... everything on the front of the bike. Life goes on... This past summer I noticed my left channel was cutting out sometimes, I thought it was my iPhone cord... whatever... Meanwhile Dave's radio quits working and he sends it into Iron Cross, through the transaction they tell him the same thing about the brackets and that because he has an amp installed (I think he told them), to make sure the amp is zip tied down to avoid vibration damage. So this mod season I send my radio back to Iron Cross for RCAs to be installed, and told them to look at the left channel cutting out. They call me after X days, and say it was due to vibration, and ask about an amp on top... I said yeah, and I added zip ties this past summer, but I guess it was a bit too late. Now the long story long, punch line... they didn't inform me of the zip tie need before BECAUSE MY RADIO DIDN'T HAVE VELCRO EVIDENCE ON TOP OF IT!! WTF, it didn't have velcro because it has a CB module on top which has the velcro. They don't tell people to not use pressure washers or forced air on the radio faces unless there is evidence of water damage. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! 50% (I'm guessing low) of all touring bikes will be Ultras and have the CB, so they don't tell them that, because of velcro evidence?!?!!! This cost me additional $90 in repairs!!!!

Now with Baker drivetrain!! This is suppose to be a premier aftermarket company.

In 2013, once again with my deer accident, I purchased the Baker Bully outer primary cover. $1000 basically... Fast forward to this winter...

I order the Baker Compensating Sprocket, and went to install it. They told me on the phone that due to my year, I will most likely have to buy a new stator rotor cup, because mine will be welded on the back of the stock sprocket. No other questions or statements. I got the new HD stator cup, re-install the inner primary and test fit the new comp sprocket and clutch basket (minus the chain) per the instructions... start taking measurements for chain alignment (Baker spec, because HD no longer checks this because they suck and their parts have huge slack tolerances).... per Baker, must be under 0.030 difference from front to rear primary sprockets, my motor/front sprocket is outward by 0.045. BUT they are telling me that it should inward by no greater than 0.030 and then you could shim it out to spec. I'm the opposite....WTF. After 4 extra times of quadruple measuring, taking it apart, measuring, putting it back together, measuring it, torquing it in (makes it worse, directions say to just snug the sprockets into place), measuring it again... wasting 2 fuckin hours... FUCK IT, I'll call it Baker the next day. Meanwhile Nate finds a thread on HD forum where Mark @ Baker (post 42 from 7-8-15) states...
    So far most reviews have been good, they say it's more responsive, quiet and smoother. We have run into a couple chain alignment issues and we are starting to find out that a lot of chains are out of alignment right from the factory. The most common issue is that after the comp install the sprocket is out board of the clutch .060. So we have been taking about .040 off the motor extension shaft to get it back within the required .030". This problem does not seem to be model specific so we really can't pin point it yet. I also noticed in the new service manuals that Harley does not even talk about chain alignment when R&Ring the primary. I guess they don't find alignment important anymore. As for long term, remains to be seen, so far so good.
    So Baker knows about this rare problem, but made ZERO FUCKIN reference in their instructions (printed on simple stapled paper) nor put in a little paper amendment... warning people "hey if you have this ass backwards problem, don't worry, just call us, we have a solution". I called them today, twice, and Mark said just send us the extension shaft and we'll machine that off 0.025 to put you back in spec. Alright cool... so I asked him, "hey I see i the instructions were Baker says to cut some oil deflectors off the outer primary (I confirmed they were referring to the stock outer). He said "oh you have the our bully outer? When did you get that?" I reply "Um Sep 2013" so I hear "Well box that up too, because even though we tested our comp sprocket on 12 stock bikes, we launched it forgetting to test it on our own outer primary cover." "YOU'RE SCREWING WITH ME?!" "No sir, it wasn't our most shining moment." Which I must add, they made ZERO REFERENCE in their instructions about their own outer primary cover... nothing like (please call if you have a pre-2015 Baker Bully outer primary cover). FUCK YOU BAKER!!

But then he didn't even offer to send me a return label.. WTF!! I spend $1500 on supposed "high end parts" and you want me to ship them back so you can fix your fuck ups at my shipping costs?!? I simply told him that it's BS and they should be bending over backwards to fix it, not put their customers out of more money, on top of more down time. So he said he would send me a label to cover shipping if I could box it up. OH how fuckin nice....

rant off...

Custom doesn't bolt on!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Gas Man; 02-22-2016 at 11:17 PM.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

testify brother, testify
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Quote Originally Posted by Kosher View Post
    testify brother, testify
    Oh I'm preaching.... gospel of GMG
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Wow....that's F'd up!
    Yeah and when I talked to Tony at Iron Cross...he asked me if I had a amp and I told him yes and that's when he told me about the zip tie the amp to the head unit to help with vibration ....there is no Velcro on my head unit being that I have my CB module and XM module on top of my radio, my Velcro is on them
    Last edited by Bagger Dave; 02-22-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Exactly... asshats!!!
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Shit id give you my old head unit.

Well, now that you guys have pioneered through these problems I believe that I will send my radio to Iron Cross and make the changes and keep them informed that I DO have an amp and that I will be zip tying it down after they fix any issues within the head unit from the "bad" vibrations.

Thanks for finding all these problems out for me before I stick my dick out on the line with this BS. But, I am sorry for your pain, and empathize, but again thanks for finding these problems.
    Caveman

Here's my 10, my 2 are free

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckMedic View Post
    Shit id give you my old head unit.
    I'm good now... they fix the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Well, now that you guys have pioneered through these problems I believe that I will send my radio to Iron Cross and make the changes and keep them informed that I DO have an amp and that I will be zip tying it down after they fix any issues within the head unit from the "bad" vibrations.

Thanks for finding all these problems out for me before I stick my dick out on the line with this BS. But, I am sorry for your pain, and empathize, but again thanks for finding these problems.
    Thanks... thanks for the support. You can now be my J.S.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Well I have to say you should never use pressure water or air any where near your dash, this should be a give me. your gauges and radio are water resistant not waterproof. Matter of fact I wouldn't use a pressure washer any where near any electrical plugs like the throttle body or other 1/2 way exposed plugs. All this stuff is only designed to keep light rain water out, not compressed air or water. Just use a damp rag and wipe your dash clean, one of those micro fiber rags works best.

There are amp racks out there that will keep your amp suspended above the radio with out it touching and causing vibration damage.
    Last edited by GaugeMods; 03-03-2016 at 12:32 AM.

Yeah I understand that. But with companies selling air blowers and shit it can be something else with what can be done.