Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Man's 2016 Mod Season

Quote Originally Posted by Moesride View Post
    G...you get any decent ride time to review or compare this skully system to your stockers or progressives?
    No I just went around the block once...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I messaged the rear fender out of the way with some extreme distinct pressure.

Then I got started on the primary. Still don't have my service parts yet but I can take it apart and see what's what...

Got the outer off

The clutch basket and comp sprocket off

Then the inner off

Got the stator cup off

On the right the HD crankshaft extension seems so much beefier than the new Baker unit on the right

Baker/Right vs HD/Left

The stock HD one is BEAT UP

The compensator cups here...

the HD one on the right has the stator cup welded to it. So I need to order a new one. I was told it could be cut off but it's welded in very well, not just some spot welds... I can get the new one for like $75... I'll just order it.

Baker/Left vs HD/Right

Here the HD sprocket setup... looks ok...

But it too has signs of wear

I measured my clutch plates... min spec is 0.143 and all of mine were 0.149-0.0151 So my 35k is good.

This is how it sits till I get some more parts in..

^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Also worth noting... the baker setup vs stock is assembled in reverse as far as the order of the design. That and the size difference really seems weird to me.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Also worth noting... the baker setup vs stock is assembled in reverse as far as the order of the design. That and the size difference really seems weird to me.
    The size difference does seem odd. I'm guessing its more about quality than quantity? There was some chatter on the forums about Baker having some issues with the spring pack for their comp, but I think they've solved that.

That damage looks pretty bad. And I dont think you had any symptoms, is that right?

At Sturgis this year, I'm going to schedule an appointment for them to do my comp and tensioner. They do free installs, so not a bad way to go.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Quote Originally Posted by Kosher View Post
    The size difference does seem odd. I'm guessing its more about quality than quantity? There was some chatter on the forums about Baker having some issues with the spring pack for their comp, but I think they've solved that.

That damage looks pretty bad. And I dont think you had any symptoms, is that right?

At Sturgis this year, I'm going to schedule an appointment for them to do my comp and tensioner. They do free installs, so not a bad way to go.
    Yeah I hope you're right about the quality.

I didn't have bad symptoms, but sometimes I had the starter smack. But not as bad as others. Again 35k on my bike. You're more than welcome to share my pics if you want to, in your web travels.

That sounds like a good idea for you... I'm going further than required but that's how I roll and it's winter...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Yeah I hope you're right about the quality.

I didn't have bad symptoms, but sometimes I had the starter smack. But not as bad as others. Again 35k on my bike. You're more than welcome to share my pics if you want to, in your web travels.

That sounds like a good idea for you... I'm going further than required but that's how I roll and it's winter...
    I think on 10-earlier, replacing the stator is required.

_________
    Roll away the dew...

Are you planning on replacing the shifter shaft seal? Its a pain in the butt once everything is together.

Also, I think I mentioned replacing the lever, ya? http://betterlever.com/
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Nice Gas. I'm still running my stock 2008 Comp. I gota check for a blown crank seal before spring see how the Comp is holding up, since I put it back in after braking my crank with a BDL comp.

Yes I'm planning on replacing my stator cup. I was told I could cut off the old one but I disagree without harming it's use.

One of the big reasons I took off the inner was to change the shifter shaft seal. However, I don't believe my stock lever arm has those problems that site is speaking about. There's zero play in my lever. Further even that site says the then new 6 speed has room to replace that lever without removing the primary.

But good eye and I always appreciate the insight.