Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought a road glide...

Yeah that's a recall thing... sucks though at times.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Yeah that's a recall thing... sucks though at times.
    Yeah, i gotta hand it to hd, no one likes a recall but they are pretty good about addressing issues when they come up it seems. Now i have to figure what mods i want. I bought the drivers backrest and mount kit at the dealer, that i know i did want. Im guessing the stock seat will be next, but i want to put some miles on it to see how good (or bad) it actually is. The previous owner put the HD flame covers and grips on already and it looks good so im not changing that. It also has the stage one with 2 in 1 exhaust already on it. However its not an ultra, I really wanted one, but this one had only 6k miles on it and he was very reasonable on the price. i figured for what im saving i can add some of the Ultra pieces if i want and still stay well in budget. Still debating on the tourpak, but im seriously thinking of picking up the painted lower fairings and engine heat shields. Im just worried how hot ill be in the summer with the lowers on. On my year glide even though it has the new frame the ultra didnt come with vented lowers until the following year, apparently they changed how the fairing mounted in 2010 so it sits up slightly higher and they are a different part. I dont want to roast my behind off, although i guess i can just put them on in the fall and take them off in the spring.

Im going to have to make up my mind in the next day or so, the bike is still at the dealer and they told me to figure out if i want anything tacked on and they could work into the loan. Not as good kutters 20%, but they are giving me 10% and i can get it financed if i want.
    Last edited by Dagnabit; 07-02-2015 at 11:14 AM.

I love the vented lowers and since I've got the speakers there they don't come off and don't have a problem. Yes it's hot when at a light or in traffic but no hotter than it was before the lowers went on. I love having the removable tourpac. Helps a lot. Congrats on the new ride. You'll love it.

Dan - you should ask Kosher, Owl, or RedNeckMedic about handlebars. The reach is a bit longer on the RG than your old SuperGlide, and the stock bars might not do it for you. You'll probably wanna go a bit taller.

I know on my Ultra, I'd like to get the bars up a few inches, and I'm no giant (5'9"). Don't know if you could roll that into your loan or not, but it's worth looking at.
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide
    1967 Bell UH-1 Iroquois(Huey)

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra AL View Post
    Dan - you should ask Kosher, Owl, or RedNeckMedic about handlebars. The reach is a bit longer on the RG than your old SuperGlide, and the stock bars might not do it for you. You'll probably wanna go a bit taller.I know on my Ultra, I'd like to get the bars up a few inches, and I'm no giant (5'9"). Don't know if you could roll that into your loan or not, but it's worth looking at.
    If their not charging labor than do it. Internally routed bars and new cables is at an 8 hr shop rate. However gasman knows how to get them done quick haha.

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckMedic View Post
    If their not charging labor than do it. Internally routed bars and new cables is at an 8 hr shop rate. However gasman knows how to get them done quick haha.
    I checked into that a little bit today, and it does seem like everyone changes the bars out on them. I'll have to put some miles on it and see how my back feels. It looks like the heritage style bars are a pretty popular replacement and don't require all new cabling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagnabit View Post
    I checked into that a little bit today, and it does seem like everyone changes the bars out on them. I'll have to put some miles on it and see how my back feels. It looks like the heritage style bars are a pretty popular replacement and don't require all new cabling.
    [rant]

Its silly to choose your bars based on whether you would need new cables. Buy the bars that are most comfortable, and the cables that are required. If you spend any amount of time on your bike beyond going to the grocery store, you will appreciate the investment.

Besides, the stock cables are hideous anyway.

[/rant]

Many people are needlessly timid about tall bars. I know I was. As it turns out ape hangers were the best investment and enabled me to ride comfortably for hours.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

congrats on the Roadie. I changed my handle bars. you should set on several bikes with different bars. try to get a feel for what my be comfortable for you. Gather all the Roadies from TWM someday soon and that will give you a few seat & handle bar options.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    congrats on the Roadie. I changed my handle bars. you should set on several bikes with different bars. try to get a feel for what my be comfortable for you. Gather all the Roadies from TWM someday soon and that will give you a few seat & handle bar options.
    Hopefully I can start making a few rides later in the month and talk to people about what changes they made. I test rode the bike and it seemed fairly comfortable, but obviously I'm going to need to put some miles on it to see what works and what doesnt. Right now I'm just hoping I get it home for the weekend so I can get a ride or two in while we finally have some decent weather.

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckMedic View Post
    Pizz off.

Stupid bars...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"