Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no lights or activity in gauages

Default no lights or activity in gauages

Started this thread over at RG.ORG .... http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=223226

Any ideas or suggestions folks????
    GD
    ----
    It is all stock ... yes it is!

A few things...

Don't hose off under the seat. Simply not needed. Sure it gets dirty under there... the weird under the seat or under the side cover dirt... but not worth the aggervation.

Second, why disconnect and blow out connectors? I have rode my 09 Ultra in so much rain that I filled half the headlight. I'M NOT KIDDING! I have never did anything special other than wash it and blow dry the bike as a whole with a leaf blower.

I think it being a new bike I'd stop in your tracks at this point. Take it to the dealer, and say "it's weird, this shit quit working. Please fix and report back the problem." Don't say ANYTHING else! You didn't blow shit out! You didn't touch a fuse! Why would you, it's a warrantied bike, right?!?

Seroiusly, don't tell them shit about what you did. The bike was rode in the rain, you washed it, no big deal. That's it.

Could you try pulling the main fuse (Big 40 amper) and do the wait and check again.... sure... but then stop there before something bad happens that they can blame you for.

Just my $0.02.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I couldn't echo more what Gas is saying, I know personally one that did his own trouble shooting on a warrantied bike, and because of it cost him $500 of his own money. Simply cause they didn't want to spend a potential day in the HD shop on vacation!

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dropped the bike off Monday late in the evening so they didn't get a chance to look at it till yesterday afternoon. But they replaced the 4 fuses and 1 relay first thing and when that didn't work they verified all the connections were nice and tight. They are now as stumped as I am as to why the gauges are dead.

The service manager said this is just bizarre and looks like either a pinched wire under the fairing that needs a harness replacement or some other wire broken in the harness which again means a harness replacement. They are going to remove the fairing and check the harness there. He thinks it is something under the fairing as they had to take it off to flash the radio when I got the Sat module put into the bike a month or so ago.

I'll keep all y'all posted on what develops.
    GD
    ----

Did they put in the sat module? And they didn't remove the fairing to flash the radio... that's done under the side panel. They had to remove the fairing to install the sat antenna.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Yep, they had removed the fairing to install the sat module and the antenna.

Spoke to the guys there and they said the entire gauge cluster was dead. A new cluster has been ordered and is on its way ...

Errr, how does a gauge cluster die?????
    GD
    ----

That's f'ed up... WOW!

I'm interested if that fixes it.

On the sat nav... I thought the premium radios were Sat ready?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by glacieredlightning View Post
    Yep, they had removed the fairing to install the sat module and the antenna.

Spoke to the guys there and they said the entire gauge cluster was dead. A new cluster has been ordered and is on its way ...

Errr, how does a gauge cluster die?????
    It will be interesting to see if this actually fixes the problem. I hate the method of diagnosis where they just start guessing and replacing things. Fine I suppose if its warranty, but after the 2 years are up its ridiculous. There was a thread on HD Forums recently where a guy got taken for a total of $4K to chase down a primary leak.

I bet this is our Waterford dealer. They all can be incompetent at times, but they were unable to diagnose a dead battery on my neighbors bike.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

They are definitely just throwing parts at it... now if they test fit a different set of gauges and they worked, then I would endorse it. Otherwise, I think they are just going for the easy fix.

Here's the problem, in case they didn't tell you... the odometer in the speedo has to be custom ordered for milage purposes, and it usually takes a bit of time. Like a 1-2 weeks. Unless the new ones are now different.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    They are definitely just throwing parts at it... now if they test fit a different set of gauges and they worked, then I would endorse it. Otherwise, I think they are just going for the easy fix.

Here's the problem, in case they didn't tell you... the odometer in the speedo has to be custom ordered for milage purposes, and it usually takes a bit of time. Like a 1-2 weeks. Unless the new ones are now different.
    I believe on the newer bikes the dealer can read the mileage from the ECM and update the new one on site.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...