Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio -- err .. lost and confused ...

Default Audio -- err .. lost and confused ...

Can someone explain the basic about audio things to me???

Problem: I have the boom infotainment unit but the stock speakers aren't worth much and at speeds over 50 one can barely hear the radio.

I have been trying to figure out what kind of amp I'll need for my bike... I think I need an amp to fix the problem... If I need an amp and speakers then is it safe to assume that one speaker equals one channel on the amp or is that not a safe assumption??

Possible solution: Replace speakers with some after-market 2-way or 3-way speakers
    GD
    ----
    It is all stock ... yes it is!

I'm not familiar with the audio on the 14+ bikes but added an amp all depends on the the resistance of the speakers that are present. I would look on the hd forums or bike specific forums to see what guys have been doing to the new bikes. You may be able to add just an amp since the new speakers are 6.5 but I can't comment on the quality.

A few of the guys here just installed some infinity kappas and are happy with them but I know they have amps driving them as well as tweeters.
    I'm running a Hawg wired system which I like. Do a search and I think we have an audio thread some wheres.

Here's the thing with audio on bikes...

Hogtunes amps run at 2ohm stable. What that means is that the amp requires less electricity from the bike to make speaker wattage... this is good because electricity power is limited. Now the issue is that if you want to get all the power out of that 2ohm stable (the advertised wattage output), you need a 2ohm stable speaker.

The majority of other amps and speakers that are "for MCs" are actually just the smaller car amps. Further amps like the rockford that don't have fans on them will have problems in your fairing with heat. They have overheat protection circuits which as the amp gets hotter will "turn down" their output to save them from over heating. This is a good and bad thing, good thing that they protect themselves, but very bad for output levels. So after so many mins in the heat, your amp output can actually decrease.

Hogtunes amps are specifically designed the bikes. They are 2 ohm stable and have fans.... see what I mean?

Now I actually replaced my Hogtunes 5.25" fairing speakers with Infinity Kappas 6.5", both are 2 ohm speakers. The 6.5 are much clearer, and handle the bass much better. The Kappas are about one of the only 2 ohm 6.5" speakers out.

And which radio do you have in your 14? The big touch screen one or the smaller one? Isn't there a difference in output?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I have read so many articles on websites that I am more confused now from when I started out

Thanks for the explanation Chris. It makes a lil bit more sense.

My bike has that 6.5 GT boom audio head unit and the 15 RGS comes with the 6.5" speakers but those aren't the boom 1 or boom 2 speakers. So if I am reading your write-up correctly, I should replace the stock speakers with another speaker pair which runs at 2 ohms and is 6.5".

In addition to that I should look at a amp that also runs at 2 ohms.

Question about these amps ... when does one use a 2 channel amp and when does one use a 4 channel amp?
    Amps usually have a number like 200x2x4 ... what do these numbers mean?
    Last edited by glacieredlightning; 04-20-2015 at 09:41 AM. Reason: radio name/model correction
    GD
    ----

That's the premium radio.

I'm not sure what the boom amp & speaker system stats are for the new stuff. What I would do is call over to Hogtunes and discuss with them. They are super knowledgeable about all of this, including the boom stuff.

The extra (x4) on that amp sounds weird. usually it's Wattage output x how many channels. Think of each speaker as a channel. (don't think about the fact that most speakers have a tweeter in each speaker unit, that counts as one speaker) So a 200x2 is 200 watts to each speaker = 400 total wattage. a 100x4 is a 400 watt amp with 100 going to each speaker.

Now if you have a 200x2 at 2ohm stable amp we know that's 400 watts total. However, if you put a 4 ohm speaker on those two channels, it will have more resistance from those speakers and that will reduce its effective wattage output. How much? That will depend and usually is indicated on the amp's spec sheet. So ohms ratings are important to watch.

And I'm not saying that you can't run a 4 ohm system. It might be fine and I may over react about it. But there are factors to figure. Your bike's stator output, and then less all the components drawing on that. Draw too much and you won't be charging your battery, you'll instead by killing it and eventually you will run out of power and die with a dead battery.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Ahh, that makes so much more sense now!!!! 200x2 means 2 speakers at 200W each and 100x4 means 4 speakers running at 100W each and in both cases we have a 400w amp, correct???

And the total number of speakers would define the channels on the amp, so if I wanted to run 4 speakers up front, I'd need a 4 channel amp??

you mention "(don't think about the fact that most speakers have a tweeter in each speaker unit, that counts as one speaker)" ... is this also what they call a 2-way speaker? Or is the 2-way/3-way speaker something totally different?

Going to call the guys over at hog tunes in a few ... as soon as I get out of this conference call ..
    GD
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by glacieredlightning View Post
    Ahh, that makes so much more sense now!!!! 200x2 means 2 speakers at 200W each and 100x4 means 4 speakers running at 100W each and in both cases we have a 400w amp, correct???

And the total number of speakers would define the channels on the amp, so if I wanted to run 4 speakers up front, I'd need a 4 channel amp??

you mention "(don't think about the fact that most speakers have a tweeter in each speaker unit, that counts as one speaker)" ... is this also what they call a 2-way speaker? Or is the 2-way/3-way speaker something totally different?

Going to call the guys over at hog tunes in a few ... as soon as I get out of this conference call ..
    Yes sir... your 1st example would both be a 400 watt amp.

Yes # of speakers indicates how many channels you need.

a 2-way or 3-way speaker from the amps/channels perspective is one speaker/channel. If you drill deeper, those are 2 or 3 speakers within the one channel.

When you call hogtunes, talk about it with them. I like their amps, but their 5.25" speakers are a bit lacking. I haven't heard their new 6.5" for the newer bikes. I'm sure if you aren't satisfied they would let you return them. Also, when you buy direct, they have a great warranty...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Errr, noob question of the hr ... these are all marine grade aka waterproof speakers, correct???
    GD
    ----

Not nessisarly. The Kappas are not. But have a proven track record in the bikes. Further, they are only $125 for a set of 6.5".
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

hmmm ... one would think that a waterproof speaker is what one would want since these are all going to be exposed to the occasional rain and garden hose.
    GD
    ----