Thread: Be safe out there: Michigan statistics

Default Be safe out there: Michigan statistics

Ineresting read:

http://michigan.gov/documents/SERIOU...l_148972_7.pdf

Granted, its 2005 data, but its still instructive.

Some statistics to note: 50% of motorcycle accidents in Michigan were *single vehicle*. FIFTY percent. And that was consistent over the 3 years studied.

60% of motorcycle accidents are the *riders* fault.

So yes, its important for auotmobile drivers to pay attention and not be texting, etc, but the biggest portion of fault goes to the rider.

BE CAREFUL
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Wow! That's hard to imagine.. You know they told me when I got my endorsement a few years back that most cycle accidents happen in intersections.
    Last edited by leebo; 03-21-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Well you know what they say theres two kind of riders those that have and well you know the rest.

I also believe there is a subset of those that have been down and its the ones who can admit their fault in going down and the others that are in denial. I haven't seen numbers but probably half that fifty have some excuse as to why they wrecked. We have all heard "I had to lay it down" before and thats just poor riding, lack of training and or experience. I know I'm not a pro and need more training too because hind sight is 20/20 and each off Ive had was my fault no matter the exigent circumstances my reactions could have been different.

So I totally believe that stat the 50% are single vehicle accidents because most of us take the initial course to learn how to shift and basic maneuvers and call it good and go out and try and rule the road.

While there needs to be more motorcycle awareness because ALL of the close calls were because of another driver if us riders get more training and practice and cages get more training/awareness we will be better off.

That's a lot of text and numbers. Needs graphs.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"