Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riding (2 wheels or 4) in Michigan is really a matter of risk assessment

Default Riding (2 wheels or 4) in Michigan is really a matter of risk assessment

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...rete/70139088/

Ok, so - another wonderful example of our fabulous Michigan roads. Personally I'm angry about all of this.

I'm not one of the people that believes that any form of taxation is evil. I do believe that we're getting the infrastructure we're (not) paying for. Currently Michigan is *dead last* in per capita road funding.

On the other hand, I do not like the ballot proposal (in part) because I believe its a big cop-out for our legistators to dump this on voters instead of doing their jobs. (I blame term limits, but thats another rant altogether).

I dont mind paying more, but I dont like the way its structured. I think Snyder had a workable solution but of course politics happen and we're not getting anything like what he proposed.

Anyway, it just pisses me off. I dont know how I'm going to vote in May, but our choice seems to be 1) improve the roads at the cost of having the nation's highest sales tax, or 2) pay higher auto repair bills and risk our lives because if this doesn't pass we're fucked.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Does it say all the money goes to the roads?

No, not all the money goes to the roads from the sales tax increase. Part of the language for the bill increases the tax per gallon of gas sold as well. Its way too complicated how they worded everything. Myself, I believe this bill was designed to fail so the folks in Lansing can point fingers at one another. I would rather pay more at the pump then a flat sales tax increase, going up to 8% is just crazy. I have so many damn taxes and fees added on to everything now its nuts. Im voting no.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagnabit View Post
    No, not all the money goes to the roads from the sales tax increase. Part of the language for the bill increases the tax per gallon of gas sold as well. Its way too complicated how they worded everything. Myself, I believe this bill was designed to fail so the folks in Lansing can point fingers at one another. I would rather pay more at the pump then a flat sales tax increase, going up to 8% is just crazy. I have so many damn taxes and fees added on to everything now its nuts. Im voting no.
    Right, well its 7% but still. And yes I get that part of the money pays for other stuff, that was the price to get the dingalings to vote on it so the governor could have something to sign, but the whole thing makes me angry.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

I'm probably no also then.I would vote yes for a road only tax.And as keith said that's an easy solution to just dump it on us.

The problem is that they keep stealing the road taxed money and using it on other shit. That is the true problem. We don't need to pay more tax, we need to take the money that is intended to go to the roads and get it there. Break the coruption.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    The problem is that they keep stealing the road taxed money and using it on other shit. That is the true problem. We don't need to pay more tax, we need to take the money that is intended to go to the roads and get it there. Break the coruption.
    Amen to that brother!

There is a revived proposal to fund the roads without a tax increase, the problem is that it takes money from education and local municipalities. That money would need to be replaced because education and local municipalities have taken huge hits already.

The bottom line is that we've been *underfunding* roads for years. This stuff costs money, and it needs to come from somewhere, there is no magic.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

I think it's a matter of taking money back what was suppose to be for the roads anyway.

I think it's a matter of taking money back what was suppose to be for the roads anyway.
    Sure, but what you take away from needs to be replaced. Bottom line is everyone needs to pay more. Either pay it in increased gas tax or in wheel alignments and blown tires.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...