Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowmobile wrenching

Default Snowmobile wrenching

So since I don't have any mods planned for the glide this winter thought I would share some of the sled stuff going on.

Started tearing into kaleys sled to do a track swap. Pictures and such on that later.

So saturday I was going to go the snow drags just a couple miles from the house on the skidoo when I went out and found that 7/8 bolts that hold the y pipe into the motor were gone causing one hell of an exhaust leak. Spraying oil and made me lose power. So spend a couple hours getting that straightened out.

So yesterday sunday me and kaley go for a ride and she is on a friends sled that just had a top to bottom motor rebuild on. Since he can't ride it this year he said we could ride it in the mean time. Had a nice little ride about 50 miles or so and about a 1/4 mile from home kaley is over in the field and I'm on the trail still just down the street from the house when I see her stop and she waves me over. She said the sled is running funny so I start it up and it sounds fine so I hit the gas and it just revs and doesn't move.

So run down the check list and tried adjusting the belt and putting new belt on I realize the secondary clutch it just spinning. So then that either means the drive shaft is busted or the drive chain broke.

Well attempting to tow the fucker home it wont move because it did end up being the drive chain and it was bound up in the chain case.

So after running to the house for a tow rope. Then back to get tools. Then an hour in the cold open field getting the thing apart and running the tools and parts back to the house when I return to finally tow the sled home two county sheriffs are out in the field next to Kaley.

When I pull up they give me shit for being in the field which is considered private property since its a potato field and for not wearing my helmet because I had left it with kaley in the field while I was running back and forth on the sled and wrenching in the ducking cold. He was like "I'm debating if I should give you a ticket or not". I wasnt't the one in the field in the first place and he was giving me shit and wanted my registration and license and didnt check kaleys at all. Lol. It was one hell of a day.

So tomorrow I get to fix our buddies sled and order more parts for kaleys because her dad ordered the wrong ones.

Didnt know a thing about snowmobiles until 2 years ago and have had to do more to them than I care for haha.

End rant. Thanks

Hope you get everything straightened out Lance....yeah, sucks wrenching out in the cold.
    I remember one time while me and a few friends were in Houghton Lake for Tip Up Town....my buddies Ski Doo wasn't running right....loss of power big time on the ice....so we spent 1 day tearing the whole top end of the motor down at the cottage that we rented....then running all over the place to find parts....was a hell of a day...but at least we had plenty of beer
    When I had my 2001 Arctic Cat ZR800....I never had any problems with it...but I learned how to stud the track....switch out carbides and a few other things....including cleaning the power valves....
    Did the you end up not getting a ticket from the Sheriffs?

Ya he ended up "cutting me some slack" as he put it and "did me a favor"

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckMedic View Post
    Ya he ended up "cutting me some slack" as he put it and "did me a favor"
    That's cool

I gots to put mine back together.

Hey Lance, I rode Ski-Doo’s for 20+ years and several of us would ride half way across Canada and back, on some of the best trails ever. After a number of years of problems (early years) I/we started to follow the service intervals suggested by Bombardier. Once we did the services their way (using their products)most all of our repair issues were gone. It sucks when one is sitting on the side of the trail broke down.
    Keep the skis on the snow and ride safe.

He'll of a day there Lance.... sheesh!

I would have had to call a helicopter to pick it up.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Quote Originally Posted by Kosher View Post
    I would have had to call a helicopter to pick it up.
    Ya they do that out west. Wouldn't want that bill

Soooo if it has tits, tires, or ski's???? it will give you problems....

Sorry to hear about the trouble. The cop trouble was just the one thing you didn't need on top of all of that.

Looks like that chain just snapped.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"