Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police Ride Along

Default Police Ride Along

I am lucky to have family in law enforcement. So I setup a night shift for a ride along. This is in a city bordering Detroit with plenty of scum.

The crew on shift have a little family style eats before they hit the road for the day as they go over any new APBs, or passes from the previous shift.

So then a shop lifter call comes in from a retail store. Security has him ready for the police for trying to steal items in his big jacket. As soon as we get him in the car he's saying he needs his meds because he gets nauseous. Which I'm told is "incarcerat-nism" and very common. But that doesn't stop the booking process regardless of what he says.. the criminal is a life long version type.

As We hit the streets driving around and running plates. 2 plates later... expired... speed up.. computer catches up as we do with that car and registered owner is suspended if he/she is driving. Call it in... surely not only is the plate expired, they have no proof of insurance and their license is suspended.

Repeat this another 3 times and we have to go to a thief roaming yards on a certain block, looking for a blah blah blah wearing blah and blah. 3 squad cars converge on the block from all different directions and the boys in blue are out on foot with their flash lights looking for this perp. I see a high speed chase just inside Detroit, go roaring by a couple blocks away... then the radio goes off... all three cops come up empty handed and RUN back to their cars and BAM... we are FLYING!!! Blues going, sirens blaring... we have been called to assist in a high speed chase with Detroit PD. Squad cars roaring, you can smell the tires as the Sgt comes around the corner sideways falling in with a DPD car testing the limits of their cars. HOLY SHIT I'm in an episode of cops!! My heart is racing, the motors are roaring.. we break off the group of cars and go screaming down the alley pushing these vehicles limits! We are staging for the foot chase and playing block... The Detroit chase has led right out of this small boarding city and onto the freeway... MSP is called in to assist and we back off. WOW!!

We circle back to that perp look out that we thought was a wild goose chase... this is about 0200-0300 time frame and it's ~25* outside... walkers stick out... we see the perps description. There he is!!! Around the blvd and cut him off just before he would have left our jurisdiction, the LIGHTS spring on the perp before he even realizes what nearly hit him (which was a Police Intercepter Explorer)... the patrol office jumps out of the car like a jack in the box. HANDS UP!! HANDS!!! The officer proceeds to cuff him and start patting him down on the hood of the car.... just as screeching of tires pull up his backup. False name given, he can't even spell his name correctly, we look it up, nope... more false names, we mobile finger print him... he starts talking some half truths... Off to booking for this regular customer of the police because the Sgt recognizes him and the perp and Sgt laugh at the old story when he locked him up last.... a story line that is about to replay....

We keep on patrol... up and down the subdivision side streets. These guys really truly care about their city. Looking for anything out of the ordinary; trying to keep their sleeping citizens safe. We take long pauses at stop signs and keep our eyes moving. I point out a car to our left.. it's a new silver chevy... I ask what about that... it kinda looked parked... no brake lights on. It's smoking tail pipes... so it's running. We creep up and look... it's "parked" in the middle of the street. It's across the dividing line of Detroit jurisdiction..... we light it up. Is it occupied? After calling for backup, officer slowly approaches the car with his gun holster unclipped. Flash light look... dude driving it is passed out in the drivers seat... DPD is on the way... My officer says the last time he had this, the dude like this one had a pistol next to him, he's waiting for help.... backup arrives and the two walk up with a plan... with guns ready one opens the car door, dude inside doesn't move; they pull the key... they wake the guy, "It's the police sir, wake up!! Do you... WAKE UP SIR... do you know where you are? You are "HERE city"... WAKE UP SIR... do you know where you are?" They get the guy out of the car and pat him down... DPD shows up. They explain the situation and pass him off, which means we don't have to get the car towed which means less paperwork.

We keep on checking plates... pull over a failure to dim brights... it's amazing how they don't recognize the Explorer cop car. Just as earlier the patrolman gives breaks by ticketing and not arresting. This time, he gives the young girl a warning. We are off again... another plate pops and once again the motor is put to the max!! This time we have a big list of write ups and could take everything but we give the guy a break by just a ticket, the guy is so grateful to not go to jail he shakes the officers hand and takes his ticket.

I take a selfie with the AR!

Suspicious loitering call from a citizen afraid to leave her house because of a man outside. We roll to assist or back up the leading car. We are almost there and get the call back that the man left and the caller is going to work with a "thanks anyway". We hit up the local gas station and talk to the regular cashier "Mo" that let's us use his bathroom and we get some refreshments.

We run by a few parks and the known hooker hotel that are on the watch list... 0500 and we get a call in for a damsel in distress on the side of the road with a flat tire. We get there and knowing the officer that responded doesn't know how to work on cars... the wheel of this girls tire is rusted on BAD! No kick to the outside of the wheel is working, we are all trying and Sgt is a gym regular. He goes and gets me a sledge from the fire house a half a block away and I lay on the ground.. 4 whacks to the backside of the rim and I got it. I change her tire as the now official on-duty patrol mechanic. LOL

We keep patrolling the area that business that are still occupied... it's 0600 and I spot a guy walking with a wondering look. He's either drunk or up to no good... we circle around and he goes down a side street... we go down the next block and come creeping down the alley. All the lights are off, brake lights off... we loose him as we try to place hide and seek. We figure he might grab a running car outside a citizens' house so we setup in the dark for the chance he might bite one. Using our eyes and the windshield mounted camera's night vision for even more precise imagery. We see nothing and that citizen comes out of their house and gets in that car and leaves. More patrols of the neighborhood reveal nothing... oh well.

We go and gas up the patrol car and back to the station to complete the paperwork that we didn't get done through the night. Each and every stop and anything and everything we did has a report and file. We have to file back the AR15, the fingerprint scanner, the tazer, the car, and I get to go home with them not having to use the waiver I signed 12 hours ago.

WOW what a night guys. Sure it's not a normally boring job, it's not always this busy but we certainly kept falling into scum after scum. The cops here don't turn their backs to anybody besides me; they back away from the car they have pulled over. They are constantly jumping in and out of their cars like poised cats pouncing. They have to wear bullet proof vests, and carry many weapons. They watch each other's back because their ass is on the line. They want to go home, it's a job and it certainly doesn't pay for the amount of danger they go through.

My hat's off to them and I thank them for the ride. I got the open invitation to come back so I guess I didn't do that bad.

I hope you made it this far and enjoyed the read.
    Last edited by Gas Man; 12-20-2014 at 11:15 AM.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Oh and... they have this tank of a officer hauler that is a retired military vehicle. It was painted by the PD from desert tan.

The thing was free to the dept, they had to fly to Texas and drive it back with the 3 mpg glory of solid rubber wheels. It weights so much that it will crack standard side street concrete... WOW!

I tried to trade the Ram for it... they weren't going for it!!
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Wow! that is a good read glad you got a chance to do that....I would like to do that myself...I think that would be a real eye opener to people who get a chance to do a ride along....thanks for the report!

I have more stories...

17 year old thug wantabees.... patrolling with the Sgt in his hot car that still stinks of burnt rubber from his sideways action... car tinging because of his lord knows speed he reached when we were trying to keep up. Sgt always takes the lead as he has the authority to do more with his car.

It's hard to put the night together when it was filled with such action back to back to back.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger Dave View Post
    Wow! that is a good read glad you got a chance to do that....I would like to do that myself...I think that would be a real eye opener to people who get a chance to do a ride along....thanks for the report!
    Call the local popo in most departments you're a waiver and long pants away from a ride along. The department my brother In law works for wont let family members in the same car.

Very cool G man. Keeps your blood flowing that's for sure!

Wow good read!sounds kinda scary glad you were with cops.and you looked very natural in the back seat of ghe squad car.takes me back to my youth!

It was awesome

Lee that's the front seat actually.

Sounds like you had fun. Should have taken you to work with me when I was in Taylor. Different world out there for sure. My favorite cops are in the small cities with problems like rouge and ecorse. More down to earth. And its incarceritis or sick of cell disease. Most of that bull shit though is why I got out of down river though and worst part is sometimes I miss it.

Chris, that is a great read. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. The boys in blue put themselves on the line, day in and day out. Can't say enough about those guys. Glad you got to witness a night in the life up close and personal. It'll be something that sticks with you forever.
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide
    1967 Bell UH-1 Iroquois(Huey)

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.