Thread: Ok cleaning/polishing experts......

Question Ok cleaning/polishing experts......

Explain this:

The primary cover, sprocket cover, rocker covers, etc. on my Sporty supposedly have a protective coating over them to 'keep them shiny'. We all know how well that works.

Why is it when I clean them up with Mother's M&A polish I get oxidation and they get a nice, deep shine? What kind of coating is this? It seems if they were coated the Mother's wouldn't have any effect.

When you say "oxidation" what exactly is happening? I'm guessing either it has no coating or it's just a regular clear coat. Oh, and if it has/had a coating you DON'T want to use a Mag and Aluminum polish. You might of actually stripped the coating off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    When you say "oxidation" what exactly is happening? I'm guessing either it has no coating or it's just a regular clear coat. Oh, and if it has/had a coating you DON'T want to use a Mag and Aluminum polish. You might of actually stripped the coating off.
    The rag turns black as I rub.

I know the coating might wear off over time, but what can I use to shine the parts without affecting it?

i think it's just turning black because you are using the mag cleaner. The coating is nothing more than a clear coat. The same used on paint. So use anything that is made for paint and clear and you'll be fine.

I'll give it a shot. It doesn't appear to be a plastic or paint type coating, I really can't see any coating at all. There aren't any dark marks or blotches like you'd expect to see with a coating that's 9 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast View Post
    I'll give it a shot. It doesn't appear to be a plastic or paint type coating, I really can't see any coating at all. There aren't any dark marks or blotches like you'd expect to see with a coating that's 9 years old.
    If you ever want to bring it by I can always look at it for you.

Sounds like a plan! I'm in the middle of a cabinet build right now that I need to get out. Unfortunately it's taking all of my ride time away.

Another weekend and I should be all set.