View Poll Results: How many times have you been "down"?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not yet, you know the saying.

4 23.53%
  • 1-3, regular amount in my mind.

12 70.59%
  • 3-6, I push my level of awesome.

1 5.88%
  • 6-9, I may need training wheels.

0 0%
  • 10+ aka I should consider a different hobby.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many times have you been "down"?

Enough not to like it! Does my fish tail count as a down...lol

I have yet to "go down", so I am in the "gonna go down sooner or later" category... I've rode on the road since 89, been hit once (minivan rear ended me, just punted me forward 10-12 yards), and too many close calls (Too many deer, reason we wont ride after dusk if we can help it, a few dogs, and a few cages)... I've been lucky thus far. We average about 8k a year...

I hear ya Chain....I have had some close calls myself

I had my first accident last month. I was riding well beyond my limits on the Cherohala Skyway when I hit a corner too hot, panicked, and looked at the ditch. You know the saying "the bike goes where you look"? Well, it does. My bike and I ended up sliding a good distance down the best long, wide, grassy ditch in the state of NC. I screwed up my shoulder lifting the bike and I thought I got away with just that and some minor bruising, but I found out almost a week later that I fractured a few vertebrae during my fall, too. Ouch.

In this case, having a broken back and neck isn't as bad as it sounds because there isn't anything but time that will heal my fractures and it really doesn't cause me much pain. But my shoulder and one of my thumbs are still giving me tons of grief a month and a half later. That said, my pride is bruised more than my body.

But I can still ride, and that's all that matters.

-Fred.
    2013 Ural Patrol
    2012 H-D XR1200x
    2003 H-D Sportster Hugger

Quote Originally Posted by beeman07 View Post
    I had my first accident last month. I was riding well beyond my limits on the Cherohala Skyway when I hit a corner too hot, panicked, and looked at the ditch. You know the saying "the bike goes where you look"? Well, it does. My bike and I ended up sliding a good distance down the best long, wide, grassy ditch in the state of NC. I screwed up my shoulder lifting the bike and I thought I got away with just that and some minor bruising, but I found out almost a week later that I fractured a few vertebrae during my fall, too. Ouch.

In this case, having a broken back and neck isn't as bad as it sounds because there isn't anything but time that will heal my fractures and it really doesn't cause me much pain. But my shoulder and one of my thumbs are still giving me tons of grief a month and a half later. That said, my pride is bruised more than my body.

But I can still ride, and that's all that matters.

-Fred.
    Yowsa, thats gotta suck. I've done Cherohala twice now, both on Monday mornings, so no traffic, and no pressure to push it, but I've often been accused of riding like Grandpa. Biggest danger for me on that road is being distracted by the gorgeous scenery.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Cherohala, Dragon, Hellbender - ALL SUPER ADVANCED ROADS and NO ONE under that riding level should even attempt. And no I am not participating in this poll.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Street wise been down twice.
    1) Dropped my daughter off for her fist day of middle school. On my way out made a left and some Jack@55 decided he would use my lane to bypass the turning right traffic. I had the bike tipped as we came nose to nose. I low sided the bike and put it between him and I, he stopped just before the bike and jetted when I moved it to the side of the road. Busted my left side rear set off and bent my shifter that was attached to it. Had to disconnect the shifter and stuff it and the rear set in my jacket, rode home in 2nd gear. I thank God EVERY day it was after I dropped my daughter off.

2) It was right after my wife started riding I took her to a parking lot to practice starts and stops, we were leaving and I was more worried about her then me. Took a turn to wide and edged a curb, stood me up and flopped me over. I had a bruise on my hip the size of my hand and a scratch all the way across my fairing.

3) My wife and I were on our way up to Bikes on the bricks in the middle of the afternoon and a doe charged me. I clipped her right rear, bike stayed up but right front corner EXPLODED and peeled the fairings on that side like a banana. I got REAL lucky on that one to.

Non of these ended badly, but growing up in the dirt doing dumb things helped me learn my limits. I also have NO doubt I have a guardian angel keeping an eye on me after them.

Never been down on the street or at speed but down 3 times in parking lots and a gas station.