View Poll Results: What type of riding is most challenging in your opinion / experience?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Backroads - 10-12 hours, aggressive riding, mountains, i.e. dragon, hocking hills, etc.

7 63.64%
  • Road trips - slab run, extended trip over a course of days, 8-10 hours per day cruising

4 36.36%
  • Track days - high heat, fast speeds, 15-20 minute intense sessions for 8 hours

0 0%
  • Day trips - pack a picnic basket but don't feed the bears

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backroads vs Road Trips vs Track days vs Day Trips

Default Backroads vs Road Trips vs Track days vs Day Trips

Ok so recently had a conversation with a fellow rider. This rider has years upon years of experience - maybe like I was before I went to the track. Never did track days. Never experienced 10-12 hour days around the dragon riding the mountains, etc. But we were discussing a 1,200 mile road trip - slab run as I would call it. Not sure how many here are actually qualified to chime in here - I know Chris is as he has done all 3 and probably even more qualified than me on the road trip end of things but I think I even out that experience with more track experience. So maybe this is just a discussion between Gasman and myself but I would like people's thoughts. There are many dynamics to consider between the different types of riding. But ultimately in my opinion if I do 10 hours of hard riding in the mountains - Dragon, Cherahola, Hellbender, roads like that - I would personally consider that a tougher challenge than riding county highways for 8 hours on a slab run. A slab run is more endurance where the mountain aggressive riding is riding 150% constantly for 10 hours with short breaks. To me that takes endurance and strength to pull off - the exhaustion factor definitely comes into play. I could list 100 items for each type of riding and I will if it is productive to the discussion.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Well - I have no experience with any of the options listed other than 2-3 hour day trips, so I won't vote. My perception is that Mud is right (for a change ) and that the backroad winding mountain trails would wear on you for the long haul.
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide
    1967 Bell UH-1 Iroquois(Huey)

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

for me it would be places like hocking hills. it not that the wing is a bad handling bike but it is a heavy bike to have to toss around
    william

Flat out hard riding on freeways for 8 / 10 hours is the worst for me. If you add in a strong crosswind and trucks then it really blows.

My vote is for back roads as I have not done track days yet but want to eventually. This is a tough one because it all depends on the bike. Like owl side with cross winds and such getting blown around on a slab run is stressful. Last summer when we went to hocking hills I think part of the reason I ended up going down was fatigue. I was beat by the end of the day after a 4 hour ride down then riding all day. The other reason why I wrecked was lack of experience especially on those types of roads. Live and learn and I plan on doing both. Hopefully if you ask this question ten years from now I will be able to weigh all options and give a better answer. Although I do have to say I get more saddle sore on a slab run but the twisties wear my whole body down.

Well I didnt vote cause I dont have all those experiences, I stay off the xways in mich they are just to hard on my back, Im mostly an urban rider just here to there.

I didn't read the first post , it was a lil wordy. I have only been able to go on day trips. If I had my way , I would get on the bike , stay off any road that's more than a couple of lanes wide and see the sites. There are a lot of weird people and places out there and you don't see that on the toll roads and super highways.

when your ready for a 800 mile ride in 10 1/2 hours, let me know....................

I wasn't really talking straight up freeways or interstates on slab runs. Just mainly the straight and narrow 2 lane highways - like M52 for instance. Yeah there are turns, etc. but nothing like the hairpins, etc. seen around Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, West Virginia, Ohio, etc. It's different dynamics like Lance is talking about. Long 800 mile runs definitely take endurance - not disputing that. But long 10 hour twisty runs take endurance to a whole new level is what I was getting at. Track days are a whole different ball game - short bursts of high intensity but over 8 hours is probably 2-3x harder than the backroads where you kind of combine a slab run with a track day - a hybrid of sorts. Day trips are a different animal and depends on how you approach them - could be a combination of all of the other 3. Another consideration of a long 800 mile run and riding over several days is the gear required - typically loaded down with gear adds a completely other dynamic - especially on a sportbike. I have done all 4 I just wanted to get opinions just because I just had this conversation with someone. So when am I ready for 800 miles in 10-1/2 hours - right now. My opinion is if you can do track days - especially 2 or 3 days in a row of 90 degree plus heat in full leathers 8 hours a day - and you can do extended back road rides - 7 days 10 hours a day - at places like hocking hills or the dragon - then a "slab" run is not as big of a challenge. You want a challenge? Try riding Mid-Ohio in pouring down rain on race slicks. If you can make it around there 1 lap please come and see me - I will buy you a beer and tell you good job. Or try riding the dragon at midnight. Or try riding US28 in pouring down rain for several hours. After any of those excursions cruising on a multi day trip seems like taking candy from a baby.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

I have road the Dragon and all over TN. I have road West as far as WY and South to FL. I know nothing of tracks I would try it just have not yet. I would have to say some of my most stressful riding has been on the slab between people trying to kill you and the wind. The winds in SD are just crazy I was inches away from being blown into the center median ditch, that was some serious pucker factor. I am still a pretty new rider and always learning. I have road some slabs were I was so relaxed I almost fell asleep cruise set at 85 just rolling. Back roads are my favorite corners dodging pot holes squirrels and deer. When I road Natchez Trace it rained so hard you could not see the bike in front of you but there was no place to pull over and thats a easy mellow ride. So I guess my round about point is it all depends on the day and the ride. There are slab days that are way more stressful than cornering back roads and there is that day you round a corner on a back road and there is a 40# coon in the middle of the road.