View Poll Results: How many times have you been "down"?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not yet, you know the saying.

4 23.53%
  • 1-3, regular amount in my mind.

12 70.59%
  • 3-6, I push my level of awesome.

1 5.88%
  • 6-9, I may need training wheels.

0 0%
  • 10+ aka I should consider a different hobby.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many times have you been "down"?

Question How many times have you been "down"?

No not like that you perv....

How many times have you been down (excluding driveway no speed drops)???

Vote on the poll and tell us about it...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

1. On my my Ninja EX-500, took a corner to a highway entrance ramp too hot, hit some gravel and went down into the soft sloping ditch of grass... was doing good till my front wheel fell into a hole in the grassy side... dropped it, cracked the fairing.

2. Ninja ZX-9R, dog chased a small deer into the road. Panic braked to avoid... slide, high sided the bike. Fairings all messed, and cracked the stator cover, needed new frame sliders.

3. Big Dog Chopper, went thru a 6" deep hole with 4" of ground clearance. Tire thru the hole, frame hit outside the hole, bang down.

4. HD Ultra Classic, deer hit, bang tons of damage, discussed plenty here.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I've been down three times on the bike. Once with the shadow when a lady pulled out in front of me and I locked it up and wasnt't able to stay up.

Then twice in hocking hills. Riding above my ability in unfamiliar territory. Then the second time my nerves just got the better of me.

If I were to add up the times I went down on mopeds scooters four wheelers, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, I would be over the 10+ mark haha. And I'm not even 25 yet. Maybe I need to slow down.

Once on the road, little too fast on a corner and there was gravel near the curb (duh). Young and dumb, but nothing but a little rash on my arm where my jacket pushed up. Bike was fine after I bent the shifter back and popped the turn signal back in.

Not a lot of experience with dirt bikes, but I did fall down a lot trying to learn. A tutor would have helped a lot. I bought my dirt bike around age 22 and rode by myself. Jumping and the rear brake thing took me a while, lol.

I''m still a relatively new rider and haven't gone down yet. Only about 15,000 miles so far over the past year and a half. I have taken several classes, trying to be safe, and hoping I don't take a spill. But I figure it is probably inevitable at some point. Hopefully when/if it happens it will be something I can learn and walk away from.
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide
    1967 Bell UH-1 Iroquois(Huey)

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Only gone down once years ago on my old cb350f. Making a turn from a paved road onto a gravel road a little too quick. Next thing I know the bike is sliding into the grass on the side of the road with me next to it. Scared the heck out of me but I just had a few bruises. The bike came out surprisingly with no damage. I don't think I've taken a road bike on a gravel road since.

2 crashes back in the 70s when I was young and dumb.one when I was very drunk and one when a guy made a right turn from the left lane and hit me.Very blessed to live thru them both suffered broken leg from one and broken arm and concussion from the other.

I was down once, a couple of years ago on my Road King, but it turned out pretty minor. I hit some sand I didnt see making a right turn somewhere near Clarkston. Just some engine guard scrapes and small spot of road rash on my knee.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

What I like on the backside of this thread is for the new rider. They need to understand that it's a right of passage. The saying is true about two types of riders.

Once in over 200k miles. It happened at the Milford road New Hudson overpass. Was side swiped on my 71 Triumph TR6R Tiger back in the 80's. Was knocked off the bike it landed on the double yellow spinning round and round on the foot peg. After I killed the guy I picked the bike up and rode it home. Had several other almost bite the dust close calls but didn't actually "go down"

Newbies Remember! "Its not a matter of if you go down its a matter of when you go down".

The trick is being able to stay alive to ride another day.
    Last edited by Hawgrider; 08-26-2014 at 08:15 AM.