Thread: '83 LTD Fuel Tank.

Default '83 LTD Fuel Tank.

Just how in the blazes do I remove this thing from the frame of the bike? I've already disconnected the hoses from the petcock (though the petcock is still attached to the tank) I want to be able to remove the petcock in order to clean or replace the fuel filter, and to inspect the petcock itself.

Only problem is, the bolts to remove the petcock are nearly inaccessible. So, I must remove the fuel tank in order to properly remove the petcock. I've already drained the fuel tank (which I will be cleaning later, there is absolutely 0 rust, but I did notice some debris in the fuel)

Removing the fuel tank presents another problem, as the fuel tank bolts, or at least what I think are the bolts, are up and under a lip of the edge of the tank itself, so no wrench can reach them, unless it seems I remove the entirety of the air box as well. Which, I have no idea how to do on my own. I don't want to have only one small part that needs fixing, that I have to disassemble half the bike to reach. Does anyone have any pointers? maybe some tools that are capable of reaching into narrow, awkwardly angled spaces with little to no turning room to get at bolts?

Any dialog, diagrams, videos, manuals, etc, on a mid 80's Kawasaki LTD will be a huge help. And I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. The bike does not have a major problem, the fuel system just needs a bit of a cleaning and inspection. But I'll be damned if it isn't the most bass-ackwards to reach fuel system I've ever seen.
    Last edited by StevieRides; 04-15-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    All I care about is the road, man.

junkyard is the man your looking for...... hell be chiming in on this.

flip the seat up and the bolts/ bracket should be right there. undo that and the tank will slide off

tri cities area?... that's flint area, no?

South of Saginaw, yeah. I've already removed the seat, the bolts for the tank are under a lip on the tank. The bike's frame, some electrics, the air box, and the tank itself is blocking access. I'll see if I can get some pictures up here.

Alright, nvm. got the tank off. All it required was another person to lift up on the tank, and I managed to shimmy a swivel socket in there and get the bolts out. Now I got the tank free and clear, the petcock removed, air filter removed, and I'm well on my way to solving the fuel/air issue my engine has been having. You can consider this thread closed now if you want to.

Cool beans
    Im on my way to flint and was gonna stop over to lend a hand if you needed one