Thread: Auto Primary Tensioner

Default Auto Primary Tensioner

Planning on replacing the OEM auto tensioner on my 10 SG with a Hayden as I noticed the chain is way too tight again.
    Been reading a bunch of threads on the Hayden, Baker, and the new SE unit.
    Wondering about everyone's opinions on these as replacement tensioner.I have had it with harley auto tensioner when I check the tension on the chain its allways to tight any help?
    V/H 2-1 PCV PROGRESSIVE 944 KLOCK WERKS 6.5 SOLO SEAT SOFTPEDLE CONTROL 360 HIWAY PEGS BIGSUCKER V/H THROTTLE PAC REDSHIFT 577 WITH DUAL TENSIONERS ADJUSTABLE PUSH TUBES FUELING HP LIFTERS DYNO TUNED one hp per cu in pulls hard from 2000 -redline with no dip in dyno lines 96 CU

Quote Originally Posted by 05chop View Post
    Planning on replacing the OEM auto tensioner on my 10 SG with a Hayden as I noticed the chain is way too tight again.
    Been reading a bunch of threads on the Hayden, Baker, and the new SE unit.
    Wondering about everyone's opinions on these as replacement tensioner.I have had it with harley auto tensioner when I check the tension on the chain its allways to tight any help?
    GasMan replaced his last year I think he went with a baker.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

Thanks Rugby Yeah Gasman or anyone else that has this problem of harleys tensioner keeping this chain to tight.Purchased new in 2010 under warrenty (problem shifting)replaced auto tensioner twice then chain.All out of warrenty back to it again.
    V/H 2-1 PCV PROGRESSIVE 944 KLOCK WERKS 6.5 SOLO SEAT SOFTPEDLE CONTROL 360 HIWAY PEGS BIGSUCKER V/H THROTTLE PAC REDSHIFT 577 WITH DUAL TENSIONERS ADJUSTABLE PUSH TUBES FUELING HP LIFTERS DYNO TUNED one hp per cu in pulls hard from 2000 -redline with no dip in dyno lines 96 CU

I use a Hayden on my 2011 Road Glide. I have a Hayden on my Evo Electra Glide and used Hayden on my Shovelhead. Never had primary issues with Hayden tensioner.

I didn't have any problems with mine. It was just one of those "while you're in there" preventive maintenance items. I installed it on my bike when I had in the mid 20's thousands of miles.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I used the Hayden M6 on my fxr back in the 90's. No problems ever. took the slack out of the primary, made finding Neutral easier and made slow speed riding much more manageable. No more lugging due to primary chain slap. Will be doing this to the 13 RGU whenever I have to pull the primary.
    Life is too short to abide stupidity, strive to educate someone today, including yourself!

For this very reason I am looking hard at the 2 inch belt drive. I just don't want to loose the nostalgic look.

AL I have not seen a touring bike with a belt drive at least not in my area. But I can imagine like all your other builds you will get that look. Have you had problems with your stock tensioner and if you had what unit would you buy? Thanks for all the replys guys!

Here is the unit Im leaning towards uses your stock floorboards.
    https://www.denniskirk.com/belt-driv...prd/020030.sku

Yes I have problems with the stock unit but as yet I have only been backing it off when I change the primary fluid. Going to Sturgis this year so hoping to see all the options.
    Last edited by alhall88; 03-26-2014 at 08:20 PM.

at least a bit cheaper than the units we put on the chops.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"