Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Default Insurance

Just read a great thread on another blog about motorcycle insurance. Basically, describing how one should shop around to get the best rate. Got me to thinking. Is what I'm paying for motorcycle in Michigan too much? So what do you pay and who are you insured with?
    Life is too short to abide stupidity, strive to educate someone today, including yourself!

In michigan, yup you pay too much

State Farm or progressive.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I use Foremost for the bike. 2013Roadglide Ultra. Currently have storage coverage on it and pay $32.00 per month. Won't use progressive at all and am not impressed with ony of the other quotes I've gotten from any of the majors. Believe I was paying $79.00 per month for it before putting it in storage for the winter but still think that's too high. Anybody else got a better rate?
    Life is too short to abide stupidity, strive to educate someone today, including yourself!

I pay $625 for the year with Progressive with a ElectraGlide Ultra. One thing that you have to remember, is Michigan is a "No Fault" state and therefore is going to push rates higher. There was a large push by some of the Major insurance agencies to the Michigan govt to get the state back to an "At Fault" state but there in lies the problem. Putting it to the govt to make a decision for the majority when they only have their own agendas that they are looking after. My Mom just retired from AAA Michigan and she hated the no fault laws. AAA was a major proponent to change it back to at fault.
    Caveman

Here's my 10, my 2 are free

even if michigan goes back to being an " at fault " state don't expect to see a big drop in your insurance rate. their rational is that we are use to paying high rates so there is on need to lower them much
    william

Just purchased a 2014 Road King, new premium with Progressive is $780 WTF!! Up from $630 on my Dyna. Called around today for some quotes, (Statefarm $836), (Allstate almost $1100), (Dairyland $560) jury is still out on these guys, that no. seems to good to be true, Geico won't be offering motorcycle ins in MI till March 29, will have to check back with them. I've read about other guys, same approx age, good records paying 1/2 what my premium is... of course none of them lived in MI.

One thing Progressive is now offering is something called a Winter lay-up program, not sure of the savings with this but anything would help. I was also told that I could remove collision, med pay, lower liability etc for the winter months for more savings. Maybe I'm the dumb ass but why do I have to call them to find these things out? Had I known I would have done all of the above.
    Oh well I guess if you want to play you gotta pay.
    Last edited by Lrider; 03-06-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrider View Post
    Just purchased a 2014 Road King, new premium with Progressive is $780 WTF!! Up from $630 on my Dyna. Called around today for some quotes, (Statefarm $836), (Allstate almost $1100), (Dairyland $560) jury is still out on these guys, that no. seems to good to be true, Geico won't be offering motorcycle ins in MI till March 29, will have to check back with them. I've read about other guys, same approx age, good records paying 1/2 what my premium is... of course none of them lived in MI.

One thing Progressive is now offering is something called a Winter lay-up program, not sure of the savings with this but anything would help. I was also told that I could remove collision, med pay, lower liability etc for the winter months for more savings. Maybe I'm the dumb ass but why do I have to call them to find these things out? Had I known I would have done all of the above.
    Oh well I guess if you want to play you gotta pay.
    Just shopped around yesterday for the Shark (2013 Roadglide Ultra), to compare apples to apples, I quoted 250,000/500,000 comprehensive and uninsured, $250 deductable, roadside assistance, towing, and $3,500 accessories. I actually pay $879.00 per year ($73.25 per month) with Formost (Farmers recreational vehicle division). Dairyland quoted $1190.00 for the same coverage. Merkle (New kid on the block) quoted $1200.00 plus. As I said won't even consider Progressive (which is a shame since I use USAA for everything else, but progressive is their RV carrier). Will continue to shop around with Allstate, AAA, and others. The only silver lining is that most carriers will write a "storage " policy for those months that you are laid up due to weather here in the great white north. The "storage" rate for Formost is $380.00 per year or $31.66 per month during the time my bike is in storage. So, if you figure that we can ride from April to Dec, thats $73.25 x 9 for 659.25 plus 31.66 x 3 for $94.98 during the winter, bringing the total for the year to 754.23. which is $124.77 savings. Heck, at this rate I can buy the daymakers in only 5 more years! yep, the Texas hill country is looking better every year!

On a side note, I had Dairyland when I was much younger and they are a standup carier, which is one of hte variables to consider. If you pay a low rate, but get shi++y service, have you really saved anything?

I have StateFarm on my 2010 Ultra Classic. I pay $57 per month. $684 for the year.
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide
    1967 Bell UH-1 Iroquois(Huey)

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.