Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making informed risk decisions: Michigan deer density by county

Default Making informed risk decisions: Michigan deer density by county

Given Chris's well founded deer phobia, I thought this is interesting. Chris now has an aversion to the UP which is not backed up by the numbers.

(Source here)

_________
    Roll away the dew...

When you've seen as many deer as I have seen pull out in front of me in the U.P., then smoke one at 60mh... I'd find it hard pressed for anybody to truly question me...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Well, its all about data. Data don't lie! (assuming its reasonably accurate, and if you assume its inaccurate, you should have a science-backed reason for claiming so)

Some people are afraid to fly, they'd prefer to drive, when statistically, you are WAY more likely, on a per-mile traveled basis, to be in a fatal accident if you drive the very same trip that you refused to fly.

I understand your fear, but it should be a fear of deer, not a fear of the UP
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Another illustration of the benefits of fact-based decision making:

_________
    Roll away the dew...

Better be hot naked women lure.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

well, you're right Kosher, data doesn't lie. However, Chris must have a deer fuck me horn or smell associated with his bike, because two years in a row in the UP and two times it was a very close encounter, the latter being a little more close.
    Caveman

Here's my 10, my 2 are free

Fact Based Decision Making: Pirates were much more common in the 1800s, Global Warming is higher now then in the 1800s, there for to cure Global Warming we need more Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    well, you're right Kosher, data doesn't lie. However, Chris must have a deer fuck me horn or smell associated with his bike, because two years in a row in the UP and two times it was a very close encounter, the latter being a little more close.
    Amen brother... you have seen it... well second hand!!
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

My daughter and I killed 2 this last hunting season so remove 2 from Emmet County. Seriously, I hunted a block from the tunnel of trees and saw deer every day. If I had more experience with a bow I would have killed another. That area is so populated that it gave me chills. I seriously would see deer every day within an hour of sitting in my blind. They rarely had enough antler to kill but there are many. I will no longer be flying through there like I have for the last 10 years. I think I pushed the envelope enough.
    On another note, my buddy bought some property there and is fixing up a rental cabin for you. He asked me to put the word out. The cabin/house is right in Cross Village. I'll find out details later and when I do I'll be posting it. Remember Mort Neff? It's his son.
    Last edited by ChefC14; 03-22-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    My current and previous rides.
    1984 Honda Ascot 500 rode for 3 months
    2001 Honda Shadow 750 7 years and 60,000 miles
    2007 Suzuki M109R 18 months and 17,000 miles
    2008 Kawasaki Concours 6 years and 70,000 miles
    2008 Yamaha Raider purchased March 10,2015

Quote Originally Posted by ChefC14 View Post
    My daughter and I killed 2 this last hunting season so remove 2 from Emmet County. Seriously, I hunted a block from the tunnel of trees and saw deer every day. If I had more experience with a bow I would have killed another. That area is so populated that it gave me chills. I seriously would see deer every day within an hour of sitting in my blind. They rarely had enough antler to kill but there are many. I will no longer be flying through there like I have for the last 10 years. I think I pushed the envelope enough.
    On another note, my buddy bought some property there and is fixing up a rental cabin for you. He asked me to put the word out. The cabin/house is right in Cross Village. I'll find out details later and when I do I'll be posting it. Remember Mort Neff? It's his son.
    Wow, way back memories!

My Dad, for 30 years, was a producer/director at Channel 4 in Detroit.

My Dad directed Michigan Outdoors for several years, we all knew Mort Neff. Once we went to his house on Lake Michigan that you had to ride a cable car (with wheels, but moved with a rope/pulley) to get to.
    My dad directed other favorites that many of you probably are too young to remember

- Traffic Court and Juvenile Court (the first court shows in the country. On these shows they used actors to act out court transcripts)
    - Milky's Party Time
    - Oopsy the Clown
    - Sonny Elliot At The Zoo
    - Open Doors (sunday religious show)
    - Often directed the 11PM news
    - Bowling for Dollars (yes, that bowling for dollars)
    - My dad also directed the original New York Carpet World commercials with Irving Nussbaum (he did not write them, just got paid well to shoot them)
    - He also directed (as an independent) the original Mel Farr Ford commercials (again, shoot only, not write. )

I was always a very popular kid in elementary school because every year my dad would arrange a field trip to the station. Fun times.
    Last edited by Kosher; 03-20-2014 at 12:55 PM.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...