Thread: Here'a a first: plagued by bees in the dead of winter

Default Here'a a first: plagued by bees in the dead of winter

I'm sitting in my living room relaxing this evening, and I notice that the first stage of the furnace startup goes on, then after about 30 seconds it shuts down. Waited a few minutes, happened again.

Ok, call the HVAC dude, and he discovered that a dormant bee hive inside the intake pipe close to the outside of the house got sucked further down the pipe to a bend where it restricted the air flow.

Aint that the fuckinest thing?

$285 later (after hours call), I'm good to go.

The guy cut the PVC to get at the nest, but he only sealed one side of the coupling so if it happens again I can pull it apart.

Nice capper to a shitty ass winter.

Last edited by Kosher; 03-03-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

So crazy that it just now happened.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I suspected something was clogging it, I thought it was ice. Before I called the HVAC company, I went outside and there was an ice "stalagmite" that had built up almost to the intake due to dripping moisture.

Clearly that wasnt the problem (tho I still knocked it over). I stuck my hand in the pipe, no ice clogs that I could tell. But I guess the freakin bees got their revenge after all, the little bastards.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

15 years ago when I had the Central Air put in I had an insect problem too. Two days after the install the A/C quit, I called the guy out and he discovered a beetle had crawled into the electric switch box and got caught between the Electric points and got crushed, stopping the curcuit from being completed. It happened again 6 months later and has never happened again in 14 years.

That's all just crazy talk...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Its been a tuff winter, sorry to hear the furnace went down!

That sucks man. I always wonder about these open pipes on the new 95% efficient furnaces. I looked into chicken wire for the inlet when I first got it installed but home depot and lowes had absofuckinglootly nothing. I would have had to fab something up. The HVAC guy said don't worry about it. I am thinking jesus christ it is a 6" diameter fucking hole that allows access to any critter to my house? What the fuck.

So anyways probably about 5-6 years ago I had a few bees in the house - was around fall or spring. And it repeated around the same time every year. I really didn't pay attention - got a dog and kids thought they were flying in from outside. But then this past fall I had about 400 fucking bees in the house and I was killing them off in waves of like 6 or 7. I was like what the fuck is going on? And I would find them dead on the floor near the door wall or family room window. I was like ok I give. I searched under the deck with a flash light. Around the entire house. Nothing. So I went online, thanks to the interweb that Al Gore invented, and found a bee guy. He came out the next day. Spent about 2 hours looking around poking around in the attic and basement using a scope in the vents, etc. Nothing. I am thinking fuck what if this guy can't find the bees I pay him $250 to poke around my house and bullshit? Then bingo he finds it near the chimney on the outside. The fucking caulk around the chimney put in their by the builders in 1979 cracked and there was a huge gap. So they made a nest in the chimney. Fuckers. And I researched it - the bees in the house were "lost". Once they get in the house the air is different, etc. and they become disoriented so they go to large windows or doorwalls to find a way out. They aren't aggressive unless they are protecting the nest. Learn something new all the time. My cat learned that even though they are lethargic if you bat at them they will sting you. So he took this huge nest out of the chimney, we used 2 x 4s to piece the siding back in and I quad caulked the fuck out of the area getting rid of the bee problem. Now the little fuckers can go build a nest somewhere else.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    That sucks man. I always wonder about these open pipes on the new 95% efficient furnaces. I looked into chicken wire for the inlet when I first got it installed but home depot and lowes had absofuckinglootly nothing. I would have had to fab something up. The HVAC guy said don't worry about it. I am thinking jesus christ it is a 6" diameter fucking hole that allows access to any critter to my house? What the fuck.

So anyways probably about 5-6 years ago I had a few bees in the house - was around fall or spring. And it repeated around the same time every year. I really didn't pay attention - got a dog and kids thought they were flying in from outside. But then this past fall I had about 400 fucking bees in the house and I was killing them off in waves of like 6 or 7. I was like what the fuck is going on? And I would find them dead on the floor near the door wall or family room window. I was like ok I give. I searched under the deck with a flash light. Around the entire house. Nothing. So I went online, thanks to the interweb that Al Gore invented, and found a bee guy. He came out the next day. Spent about 2 hours looking around poking around in the attic and basement using a scope in the vents, etc. Nothing. I am thinking fuck what if this guy can't find the bees I pay him $250 to poke around my house and bullshit? Then bingo he finds it near the chimney on the outside. The fucking caulk around the chimney put in their by the builders in 1979 cracked and there was a huge gap. So they made a nest in the chimney. Fuckers. And I researched it - the bees in the house were "lost". Once they get in the house the air is different, etc. and they become disoriented so they go to large windows or doorwalls to find a way out. They aren't aggressive unless they are protecting the nest. Learn something new all the time. My cat learned that even though they are lethargic if you bat at them they will sting you. So he took this huge nest out of the chimney, we used 2 x 4s to piece the siding back in and I quad caulked the fuck out of the area getting rid of the bee problem. Now the little fuckers can go build a nest somewhere else.
    Thats crazy!
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

There was a website I read all kinds of information on the bees, etc. but I can't find it. Here is the guy that removed the bees for me. I would definitely call him again if I had another bee problem. Well worth the money:

Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members