Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not No. 1

I wonder if CR knows that Triumph still builds motorcycles.

So let me get this straight.... the big touring bikes don't suffer from any real issues, just little stupid electrical bugs and therefor they are rated as the worse bikes?! Sounds like BS. Maybe I'm just an idiot, because the other brand I would love to own is a BMW.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I've never put any stock into anything Consumers Reports says. I've seen them rate cheap Huffy crap bikes ahead of world class bicycles. Anyone that knows anything about bicycles knows that Huff, Kent, Sears, Roadmaster, etc. etc. are just cheap garbage that have done a great job of getting consumer name recognition. CR pumped up these brands in the 1980's as the best bikes on the market, ahead of Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. which are true bicycles, not cheap bicycle-shaped objects like the crap they endorsed. I always figured it was about who paid the most to the CR editors.
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide
    1967 Bell UH-1 Iroquois(Huey)

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Yeah I really don't either... it's sad. It pretty much rates like every other USA magazine that is being bought out by it's sponsors.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra AL View Post
    I've never put any stock into anything Consumers Reports says. I've seen them rate cheap Huffy crap bikes ahead of world class bicycles. Anyone that knows anything about bicycles knows that Huff, Kent, Sears, Roadmaster, etc. etc. are just cheap garbage that have done a great job of getting consumer name recognition. CR pumped up these brands in the 1980's as the best bikes on the market, ahead of Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. which are true bicycles, not cheap bicycle-shaped objects like the crap they endorsed. I always figured it was about who paid the most to the CR editors.
    Was CR only taking into consideration the quality of these bikes. Or was price maybe a factor as well? I know in the 80's and 90's all the kids and people I knew had huffys and bikes around that price range. With a few exceptions of Redlines, GT, or Mongoose. The brands you mentioned really were off the radar due to them pricing themselves out of reach for a lot of families. I for one would love to pick up a Giant road bike from your store, but I even today have a hard time justifying $500-$2000 for a pedal bike. I'm not trying to say anything bad about those brands, I know there's many people who love these bikes, but the reality is those are out of most families price ranges. Especially during the recession in the 1980s.
    some people just need a high five.. in the face.... with a chair......

I know what your saying Mike, but truly, for anyone that plans on doing more than a once or twice a year ride on their bicycle, if you spend less than $300, you are buying something that rides poorly, weighs a ton, shifts badly, and won't last for more than a season of real use. Look at it this way. In the 1950's Schwinn had a bike they sold a crap=load of, called the Black Phantom. It was a 26" wheel cruiser with fenders, rack, horn tank, headlight, taillight, etc. It was the class of the bicycle industry. It retailed for $79.95

The average salary in a week for a guy in the 50's was probably around $350 a month. That bike was more than a weeks wage for the average guy. Yet Schwinn sold a ton of them to the average American consumer. Now I realize that Columbia, Firestone, etc. had a cheaper version that sold for about 1/2 that, but even then, that was around half a guys weekly check to buy the cheaper bike.

Translate that to today. The $50 Columbia would be the equivalent of the $500 bike of today. But the big boxes, the WalMarts, the Targets, Meijer, etc. have trained folks to believe that a bike shouldn't cost more than $100-$150. You can't even take a family of 4 to the Tiger game for that these days!

Anyway, forgive the rant. I'm just an old man living in the past. LOL
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

But Al, your perspective is right on. It's amazing how retailers have been able to "slow down" the infliation of some products in public perception.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Lol, I gotcha Al. Makes sense to me. Although that's crazy for a bike in the 1950's!!!
    some people just need a high five.. in the face.... with a chair......

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    But Al, your perspective is right on. It's amazing how retailers have been able to "slow down" the infliation of some products in public perception.
    That's because they've discovered ways to make them cheaper and cheaper. And I don't mean produced cheaper but similar quality. I mean producing worse and worse junk in order to keep the price down. That's why we call them 'bike shaped objects'. They look like a real bike, but up close and personal what they really are shows through. Lol
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide