Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another mod to keep me sane

Default Another mod to keep me sane

With the cold weather and snow still upon us here in the north I decided to install cams. The part that I hated the most was removing/installing the exhaust, but hey no big deal what else am I going to do right now. Removed stock and installed a set of Wild Things TC24D cams, 850-1 lifter and a set of S&S quickie pushrods and tubes. Pretty straight forward mod if your not afraid to open an engine. Just sitting in the garage running you can hear a note change in the exhaust and the throttle response is more crisp. Downloaded a tuned map done by MIke Roland that designed the exhaust and cam set up so bike is good to go for now until I can find a reputable tuner over here on the west side. Now for the snow to melt away and the roads to dry up so I can get a in the saddle feal to the change. Come on spring

Good job, did you take any pics of the process?

How many hours did you put in for the mod?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

No, did not think to take any pictures. With removing the exhaust, cams and reinstalling I think I had 6 hours into it. Did alot of checking and rechecking, did not want a cam swap to turn into a engine tear down because I missed something. Replaced the inner cam bearings as well, found wear on the lifter rollers that I was surprised to see @ 10,000 miles.

Nice. I want cams but we have to convince the GMG that we can do it first. Hahaha

Well Medic... I'm doing a motor pull on the stang in the spring so that might be the go juice I need to do a cam swap.

Shazam, have you done one before? Just gauging time to do one...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

First one, but watched the S&S video and it was no big deal. Just get the quickie pushrod kit that way you do not have to mess with the rocker boxes at all. Would also replace the lifters while your at it, I have only 10,000 on my bike and the rollers for the lifters were showing wear. First time you can plan a day w/removing the exhaust and everything. Just make sure that if you replace the lifters you crank the bike over without plugs to pump up the lifters or I hear it can rattle a bit afterwards. Replacing the inner bearings was no big deal neither. You can get the tooling for 100 bucks on fleabay. It is a gut wrenching fealing the first time you start it though.

I bet... sounds like an interesting job.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Is your bike a TC88? I've heard the tensioners on those can have premature wear and can even disintegrate. I haven't heard of it happening at only 10k though. Most of the bikes I've read about it on have nearly 30k on the motor.
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide
    1967 Bell UH-1 Iroquois(Huey)

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

No it stock 103 in a 2012 Street Glide

Cam change is easy. can't have more than .006 runout at the crankshaft for gear cam. Should have special tools for can bearings (in & out).
    New style (08 & up) tensioners hold up well. Velva Touch lifter kit are the best.