Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 R1 v 2012 R1

Default 2006 R1 v 2012 R1

Well after finding out about the valve issue last year with the 06 now I am debating my next move. I have the following to consider:

Valves = $1,200
    Ohlins Suspension = $1,000
    Slipper Clutch = $500

So looking at probably dumping $3,000 into the bike to get it where I want it. So I will have about $11,000 into it all said and done based on what I bought it for, what I put into it already and what I want to do.

2012 I can pick up for about $12,000 or a little less. It already has a slipper clutch. I would just fine tune the suspension for me. No worries about valves. Cross plane crank shaft (that alone is a major selling point for me).

Decisions. Eventually I am buying the 2012 anyways so now that I know the valve issue on the 06 I am swaying towards selling the 06 and moving into a 12. Really shit I'd like to have them both. I really love the 06. I just hate dumping money into something when it doesn't make sense - my friend once told me - "you want a race car buy a race car". Meaning as much as you want to take a non-race car and build it into a race car it will never truly be a race car - or anything for that matter.

Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Go for the 12!!

Yeah...when I bought my HD in Oct of 12...I wish I could have kept my BD Chopper...but for me it was either one or the other....and I wanted to start doing trips on the bike....so out with the old...in with the new

What would you get for your 06?
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

There becomes a point that no matter how much you put into the old one it will still not keep up with the improvements of the new. I learned that when I had a couple Ducati's.

Default go with the 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    What would you get for your 06?
    I don't know shit about these bikes but I know #s. NADA says around 5k for the old bike. I don't know all the upgrade etc so don't friggin shoot me.....I just needed something to work off of.

I wouldn't dump 3k into a 5k bike..............that is 60%.

I'd drop the 12k - minus the 5k for yours..........that puts you at about 7k outta pocket. Assuming everything else is equal in 8 years it'll be worth 5k (so you are sitting on this cash for some time which is what you are doing today anyway). You were going to spend 3k now anyway if you don't go new........assume that is fixed. So you have that 4k diff to make up over 8 years. That's $500 a year to be happy and have an 8 year newer bike.
    Last edited by skipper; 01-03-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Traction control is nice , 34 more pounds than a zx 10.

Love the 12

Yeah the traction control is bad ass along with the electronic control modes. The 12 is just so much more bike. But good point the $500 a year could go to mods, tires, track days, beer. All good things. And I absolutely love the 06. You can ask Bill. I would get between $5-$7k for the 06. I am just kind of pissed about the valve thing. If I would have known I would have held out a couple of years and just bought the 12.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Is the 12 a total redesign from the 11?