Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Winter Project(s)

Default My Winter Project(s)

I have the Inner Fairing removed and the Heat Shields removed to be color matched to my bike. I tagged everything so I knew where it all goes back, and labeled sandwich bags with the parts inside.

I have removed the Handlebars and going to add 10" Apehangers (Wild1 Chubby's 578's). I chose these because I want my arms level with my shoulders, or slightly lower. I do not want my arms higher then my shoulder. I chose this because I plan on doing LONG rides and from what I have read, having your arms higher then your shoulders does not work out so well.

I am trying to put together a parts list so I can get rolling on this in January sometime. I want to have everything done by April at the VERY latest. This gives me time to do things at my own pace. (As well as come on here and ask questions when I am stuck!) LOL

I will keep you guys updated as I complete the work.

Other items I plan on buying:

Customized Shift Linkage
    Lower Windshield, Limo Black, for zipping around in the city.
    Thinking about new Chrome housings and Grips as well.
    Bikers Against Child Abuse - B.A.C.A.
    Wayne County Chapter - Michigan
    http://michigan.bacaworld.org/

"No Child Deserves To Live In Fear"

Sounds like a plan.

Looking good, keep us posted on your progress.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Kosher, are your arms higher then shoulder height with your bars? If so any issues on long runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Klimoman View Post
    Kosher, are your arms higher then shoulder height with your bars? If so any issues on long runs?
    No. I'm 5019, I have 12.5" Wild 1s. I've had 14"s on my Road King and my Heritage before that, I'd say they were pretty close to perfect. I thought I'd try going a little bit lower with my Road Glide, thinking that it would make slow speed maneuvers easier, and I really cant tell the difference.

At some point I'll go back to 14"s.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Consider doing heated grips while you're there... HD's are plug and play...

Otherwise, good job. Let me know if you need help. Maybe I can just come and hang out at your crib....
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Consider doing heated grips while you're there... HD's are plug and play...

Otherwise, good job. Let me know if you need help. Maybe I can just come and hang out at your crib....
    I was thinking about the heated grips as well. No prob hanging, beer and food on da house.

If you haven't ordered the bars yet I say go sit on something with apes if you've never had then before. I think 10in will make them more comfy but I don't think they will be high enough for you. Your a big guy and could probably go 18 before there over your shoulder.

I have 16s and there right at shoulder height but rocked forward for a more aggressive riding position.

That being said Im not a fan of bat wings with giant apes so I wouldn't go over 12in. Another thing to consider is with the 10 in apes I don't think the fairing mount mirrors will work because your hands will be right in front of them at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckMedic View Post
    That being said Im not a fan of bat wings with giant apes so I wouldn't go over 12in. Another thing to consider is with the 10 in apes I don't think the fairing mount mirrors will work because your hands will be right in front of them at that point.
    That is my thoughts as well. I do not want to have giant apes with the Batwing. I do not like that look. I might go with the 12.5 Apes. I have not ordered them yet. I emailed Wild1 to get their input on a parts list and estimated cost.

I am not sure if fairing mounted mirrors would work for me because I do not know if I can see around my big ass. LOL

My bud rick got a nice set of 14's that drop down at the grips...

16's are a common height so easy to try those on for size. Any decent dealer should have a few of these somewhere, in used bikes or customer bikes... maybe a trip there to check it out..
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"