Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Year Anniversary on the bike

Default One Year Anniversary on the bike

One year ago, I rode a motorcycle for the first time. My wife and I had been discussing me getting a Harley, and we decided to take a trip down to Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson in Maryville TN. We rented a beautiful cabin in the Smoky Mountains, loaded up our grandson, Nicky, and drove down for one of the best vacations we've had. The class started on Friday, and we were on the bikes on Saturday and Sunday. While I was at class for 3 days at the HD dealership, Nicky & Debbie explored the mountain our cabin was on. We stayed a few extra days and enjoyed the spectacular scenery there.

On December 8th, 2012, I bought my first Harley, a 2003 SuperGlide. Now a year has gone by. I've ridden nearly 10,000 miles since then, taken 2 more (advanced) rider classes, and am now riding my 2nd Harley Davidson, the 2010 Ultra Classic. I ride in almost all weather conditions (except ice or heavy snow), and I have to say, I don't know why it took me so long to get a bike. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It reduces stress (ok, as long as the weather lets you ride, sometimes it increases stress, lol), and it just feels awesome.

If you have someone you know that is waffling on whether or not to get a bike, tell them to take the class and see where it leads.

Another advantage to riding, I found the TWM forum. Met some great guys, made good friends, and have learned a lot from you guys. I'm looking forward to riding with you all again soon. I know Klimo, Kosher, and a couple others that are cold weather riders, and for those who store their rides in the bad months, I hope to ride with you all in the spring.

Rock on TWM.
    Last edited by Ultra AL; 11-30-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide
    1967 Bell UH-1 Iroquois(Huey)

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Outstanding Al !! What a great story and great way to start on 2 wheels. 10k and two bikes in one year. good on you man! Soon as I heal up you can count me in on your Sat. morning and cold weather rides. Love the cold rides. Enjoy your 2 wheel therapy Al and yes, some of these nut jobs on TWM are fun to be around!

Congrats Al on your anniversary.

I agree that this past year TWM has grown right along with you.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Very cool Al, as Moe said, great story. I know all of us get it and what it means to us, good on ya.
    It's funny how some of my non riding friends think I have a death wish and the puzzled look on their faces when I tell them it keeps me alive.
    One thing I will say is I never try to talk someone into riding, even if they're waffling. It must be something they REALLY want to do, JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruxtonbill View Post
    One thing I will say is I never try to talk someone into riding, even if they're waffling. It must be something they REALLY want to do, JMO.
    Yep, that's why I say, get it to take the class, and when they're done, they can make a more informed decision. They may discover that it just isn't for them, or they may be all in. Either way, it's an educated choice - not a fear based one.
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesride View Post
    Outstanding Al !! What a great story and great way to start on 2 wheels. 10k and two bikes in one year. good on you man! Soon as I heal up you can count me in on your Sat. morning and cold weather rides. Love the cold rides. Enjoy your 2 wheel therapy Al and yes, some of these nut jobs on TWM are fun to be around!
    Sounds good Moe! You heal up soon and we'll hit the pavement!
    My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide

Nice story al..see u this summer!!

That is a great story Al!
    Bikers Against Child Abuse - B.A.C.A.
    Wayne County Chapter - Michigan
    http://michigan.bacaworld.org/

"No Child Deserves To Live In Fear"

Here's to many more years, Al!

_________
    Roll away the dew...

Very nice read, thanks.