Thread: Motorcycle GPS Tracking

Default Motorcycle GPS Tracking

Anyone using any apps for iPhone or Android to track your motorcycle routes? I just downloaded Open GPS Tracker and been playing around with it. Seems kind of basic. I forwarded a quick route to myself via email and it creates a kmz file. I installed Google Earth to view it but it seems fairly limited - you can see the route (it appears I cut through my neighbor's yards and was fairly drunk weaving omw to work) and take a "tour" of the route. But no distance or times? I was expecting more out of this than just a blue line on a fancy satellite image. On the phone itself it tells you speeds, time, etc. but for whatever reason that doesn't translate to the kmz file.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Those global spot trackers do the same thing... all erratic and shit.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Ya I tried a hand held gps up north while 4 wheeling and it was one crazy wiggling line that I couldn't make sense of. I'm better off just going old school with a map

The NSA has all your where abouts now.

All kidding aside, I tried some GPS programs on my phone,but it would destroy my battery life... It was cool to see my whereabouts for a while, but just wasn't worth it.

I just wish it had more information when uploading to a google earth file. On the phone it has tons of info - average speed, distance, time, low speed, high speed, etc. etc.

I tried it the other night while cutting the lawn and it was a totally erratic line, lol. I wanted to see if it was accurate if there was a pattern to my lawn cutting. But it looked like a 2 year old drew a picture on a satellite map with a red crayon.

It would be really nice to have some maps of some of the rides I do when I go on extended WSL trips, Deal's Gap, Hocking Hills or wherever.
    Redline Superbike

If you have an actual GPS unit like a zumo you can enable tracking which will leave foot prints of where you go.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Yep. I use my zumo 550 to track my movement. I also downloaded an android app called bubbler GPS which is supposed to act much like a spot tracker except that it is dependant upon a cell signal. I haven'thad the chance to use it yet, but others I know that have used it say it is very promising

I will check out Bubbler GPS and see how that works. The Open GPS Tracker app seems to be fairly accurate in terms of GPS movements I just don't like the end result on the PC. And maybe I just haven't learned enough about Google Earth yet and there are maybe options I am overlooking or missing due to my inexperience.
    Redline Superbike

and I really don't want to carry a separate gps unit, etc. that is the beauty of the phone it replaces many different things like GPS and my old Zune MP3 player.
    Redline Superbike