Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing wheel bearings - shop or DIY??

Default Replacing wheel bearings - shop or DIY??

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Easy shit dude!!! You do it once (like most things) and you'll ask yourself why you waited to learn....

Only thing we'll take in is my 21" front for rubber swap. Only cause they have real good machines to handle it so you don't scratch shit.
    If I get new wheels, there is an opportunity for me to save big $$ - the only other challenge is bearings - they will have to have new bearings pressed in, not sure how that fits into the equation - and again, ABS could complicate. But maybe I'm over thinking.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Quote Originally Posted by Kosher View Post
    If I get new wheels, there is an opportunity for me to save big $$ - the only other challenge is bearings - they will have to have new bearings pressed in, not sure how that fits into the equation - and again, ABS could complicate. But maybe I'm over thinking.
    You know? Never dealt with ABS, I'm fairly positive there different bearings than a stock bearing.... as far as regular bearings, no diff than other pressed bearing... I'm sure it's fairly simple (ABS). And they make nice tools for pulling them. Or you can make your own. BUT I totally understand.

Oh yeah...

Looks a TON better!!!!!!!! btw!!!!

It really is easy Kosher. The rear alignment is done by HD's swing arm... no worries. I have done it many times by myself (not with a gimp arm).

I looked into getting the bearing tools but I wasn't sure there was a demand for that job...

And Dave is right, I have no issues with helping spend your money.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

We should talk about the bearing tools. How much? Maybe if there are a few of us that want to do new wheels pitch in and buy you the tools?
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Quote Originally Posted by Kosher View Post
    We should talk about the bearing tools. How much? Maybe if there are a few of us that want to do new wheels pitch in and buy you the tools?
    Wait - is this all you need? Heck, I'd buy it for you just as a thanks for all you've done for me!

http://www.amazon.com/HARLEY-DAVIDSO.../dp/B004N7GZIM
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Yeah that's the tools... but I'd get george's. He stands behind them and they are made in Cali. He has two different kits... one for the older bikes and one for the new ones...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Yeah that's the tools... but I'd get george's. He stands behind them and they are made in Cali. He has two different kits... one for the older bikes and one for the new ones...
    Looks like you have to buy his part number 740010, then buy the upgrade for the sealed bearings, 740030. About $220 total. (http://www.georges-garage.com/chassis_tools.htm)

Well, heck, I'd be paying the dealership a lot more than that to install new wheels anyway.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Yeah that might be it... I called and spoke to George... he's super cool. But this was when BuckHunter was thinking about doing powder on his wheels.

Problem is that you still need to get rubber mounted.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    Yeah that might be it... I called and spoke to George... he's super cool. But this was when BuckHunter was thinking about doing powder on his wheels.

Problem is that you still need to get rubber mounted.
    Right - that can be done relatively inexpensively by an indy - or can a place like Belle Tire do it?
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

I have a local little shop that can do it but point is you have to take it to a shop. Which is what you are trying to avoid. Take the font forks. I can do the entire job without going to a shop. But with this I would only be able to do bearings not the rubber.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"