Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lake Superior Circle Tour

Just an additional note; Don't plan on riding the outside, paved lane, cause if you do "Murph" will rear his ugly head and there will be construction or repairs of some type going on and you will be shifted to the grating! Just saying, seen it happen way to often. The grating is just like most other bridges in the state, so ride them for practice and to gain confidence if possible. Do NOT look down, cause you are WAY UP THERE, big freighters look like small toys in the bathtub! F.W.I.W. years back the Yugo that vaulted the guardrail in the heavy winds was my fiances best girlfriend, the operative word there is "was".
    Old age and treachery ALWAYS overcome youth and skill! Growing old is mandatory- growing up is OPTIONAL! I.B.A. #26543.

^^^ That's NO lie. I bet we've rode over it 50 time the last 7 years the wife and I've been together, and I don't think maybe a handful of times we've been able to ride on the paved lane only. There suppose to have the painting wrapped up sometime this year. First time it's been fully stripped and repainted since it's build. Then in 2017 there going to start replacing the huge undercarriages (I don't recall what there called) That should be interesting! So chances of riding on the "cheese graders" are pretty high...

Fun fact! Highest recorded wind on the bridge?! 117 MPH!!!!!!!!! Incredible!

I read somewhere that they never stop working on the bridge in warm months - it is a continuous process due to the size and by the time they are done painting they need to start over again. Every single time I have been on it (20 times or so) I have had to drive on the grates. Never rode over it on a bike. But I will someday.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

All good advice there and I heard too that its never done with repairs.