Thread: Fla. motorcycle racer dies after hitting 285 mph

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fla. motorcycle racer dies after hitting 285 mph

From the Houston Chronicle:

A motorcycle racer trying to top 300 mph died Sunday after losing control and zooming off a runway at a former air base in northern Maine.

Bill Warner, 44, of Wimauma, Fla., was clocked at 285 mph before he lost control but it was unclear how fast the motorcycle was traveling when it veered off the paved runway and crashed, said Tim Kelly, race director theLoring Timing Association, which hosted "The Maine Event" at Loring Air Force Base.
    Warner was conscious and talking after the crash just befor 10 a.m., Kelly said, but he died about an hour and 15 minutes later at a hospital in Caribou.
    "No one will touch Bill's achievements or be the type of racer he was. He was a personal friend and the land-racing community is less for his loss," Kelly said.
    Riding his modified turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa, Warner previously hit 311 mph on the same course in 2011, using 1.5 miles of pavement. That's considered to be the world land speed record for a conventional motorcycle, Kelly said.
    This time he was trying to hit 300 mph using just a mile of pavement, and he'd made several passes before the one in which he crashed, Kelly said.

My Favorite Rides:
    2016 Ultra Limited
    2010 Ultra Classic
    2003 Dyna SuperGlide
    1967 Bell UH-1 Iroquois(Huey)

Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

wow...sorry to hear RIP

Wow but if your going to go thats one hell of a way to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckMedic View Post
    Wow but if your going to go thats one hell of a way to do it!
    X2 I have friends that have died in avalanches and kayaking better to die doing what you love than laying in a bed for a few years.

I echo what was said... that's one hell of a way to go but damn... cutting it short.

RIP Speed Rider!
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"