Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valves

Default Valves

So my friend has exact same yellow 06 R1. He just called me and said that he had a valve fail on him. He said by the looks of it Yamaha made the retainer out of crushed beer cans and fail. He said he looked it up and it is a common problem. The manual says check valve clearance at 26,600 miles. He is at 26,500 miles. Odd. I am around 17,000 miles. But now I am thinking do I tear into this now before it is an issue or chance it and wait until winter. Not an easy project whatsoever but they do sell titanium retainers that you can replace the stock junk with. It's going to cost him $1,000 to get it done at a shop after failure. I am thinking I can probably tackle it before failure for a lot cheaper.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

I think it would depend on if you had any rides or anything planned...if you have the time...and nothing planned...maybe get it done to be on the safe side....especially if you already know there is a possibility of failure....or take the chance and do it in the winter if your not going to put on a ton of miles....

well, you could be safe and do it now, downside is the ride would be OOC, for a while. How long of a job would that be for you? Would you be able to do it yourself or would you have to have the stealer do it? If it was you doin the job, I would go ahead and do it as a weekender. Get all the parts ready tools and all and then dip into it on rainy weekend like this one coming up. If you have to have the dealer do it, it could be a quick turn around or not. Plus your out the cash that that job will undoubtedly cost. At that point I would chance it and ride it till winter to have the dealer do it. Personally though, I think you can do it, and a weekend is probably not out of the question for time frame. Depending on your wrenching abilities.

Or a possible Gas Man's Garage episode? Not that I'm offering services that aren't mine to offer.
    Caveman

Here's my 10, my 2 are free

IDK I am definitely concerned about it now. Drop a valve and it costs a ton of money and the chance of seizing the motor which would suck ass. I also had suspension on the slate for the next project. Definitely going to do the work myself. I am leaning towards riding it until the end of the season since I am under 20,000 miles as it sits but I read on the R1 forum that some engines have let go with under 10,000 miles. So who knows. I have lots of riding planned too so that is a big suck factor. Hocking Hills again (2x), local rides, Deal's Gap, Up North.
    Redline Superbike

I would try and do this between the longer rides, ASAP. If you have that kind of time. But then my motto is "address it, do not obsess about it".
    -Monsoon

'Dont worry, sometimes peoples lives are their punishment....'

Quote Originally Posted by Monsoon View Post
    I would try and do this between the longer rides, ASAP. If you have that kind of time. But then my motto is "address it, do not obsess about it".
    That's the problem - time is a precious commodity for me right now and I have several partially completed projects.
    Redline Superbike

Oh boy, thats fun for sure . Been there, done that, suck my balls that blows. I'd wait till winter and just ride it.

I can't weight in on this..

Ignorance is bliss but you're already fucked in that regard.

What's the book time on the job? It is an overhead valve thing, but I bet it still requires a motor pull.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

If it were a complete Motor pull I honestly wouldn't fret about it... Ride that bitch! Don't you have 2 bikes any how?

However if it were a 6-8 hour job, few evening hours?!?, I'd do it and get it done with... Thing with forums I've found problems seem exaggerated, only because of the mass amount of people on them. I used to see shit with the BD... common issues, I'd freak out about it, next thing you know, I'm NOT having fun riding it... Sounds like the only reason you heard about the "common problem" is it just happened to your buddy, and you looked into it. IMHO...

That is a good POV chain.

Kinda like the cam chain tensioners and primary chain adjuster on the HDs. I'm not freaking out, I'll just mess with it in the winter.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"