Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How fast is fast?

Default How fast is fast?

I've been out on a couple of short rides, getting a feel for it and what not. At first I was convinced my speedometer is way off. It seems like I'm going a lot faster than the speedometer indicates, but I think the key word there is seems. When the speedometer shows 30 it feels like I'm doing 45 or 50, but the cars are zipping past me. I'm guessing this is because I don't have a cage surrounding me.

Another thing is it seems I have bike almost topped out, but again seems. With that being said, I think I'm shifting up way too soon. I did some googling, but everything I read relates shifting to speed and I thought it should be related to rpm's. Any advice on when to shift up?
    Yamaha V Star 950 Touring
    Cum catapultae procriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

Have someone in a car follow you to check your speeds. Every speedo is off but older bike ones can be way off lol
    Shifting... No set rule. I short shift alot cause i don't need to whined the motor up everytime. Having more power always helps too lol. Shift when you feel like it and get to know the bike.

As for cars passing you... I go 65 in a 55 and it's like I'm standing still.
    None of my bikes have a tac or speedo, i can tell by to sound of the bike or i go with the flow
    Last edited by junkyardjon; 06-04-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Yeah I'd just have a car pace ya...I check my speedo with my GPS unit but I'm on a flying rocket ship couch.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

It could very well be your just not used to it. I know when i throw my tall shield on it feels like im sitting still but then I look and Im going way faster than i thought because the wind speedo is t there any more.

Go as fast as you can past a cop and note your speedo the second the lights come on. Then ask him how fast you were going.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

I was out on the service drive last night keeping up with traffic and my speedo only showed 25 mph . Also the speedo is cable driven, so the speedo-healer won't work. Thanks anyways, Mud.
    Yamaha V Star 950 Touring
    Cum catapultae procriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

If the speedo cable housing has been damaged or is bent at a funny angle any where the cable inside could be pinched and not transferring the correct revolutions to the speedo. If there are signs of damage, any whatsoever, I would replace the speedo cable. If no obvious signs of damage take off the front rim the speedo cable should be connected via a ring on the axle that has a key the mates to the rim, spins a gear attached to cable and then a square adapter that mates up to a square key hole in the back of the speedo. If any of those mechanical "Keys" are damaged could be cause for the erroneous input. If none of those are obviously damaged or worn then could be a speedo problem itself. those could get pricey, especially with an older model bike.
    Caveman

Here's my 10, my 2 are free

I would tear into the system... could be the rim key, the cable, or the speedo itself.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"