Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing up a Kawi 440

Default Fixing up a Kawi 440

Just picked the bike up last night. This is what I've found so far.
    1. Neutral indicator not working. Burned out bulb or neutral switch? No other bulbs are burned out.
    2. Seems like the clutch is a little tight. With the clutch pulled in and I put it in first, there is slight movement. Is this normal? Seems to me there should be no movement from the bike if the clutch is pulled in.
    3. One of the two pins that the seat hinges on is missing. I think I can fix that one.
    4. Most serious issue. There is a leak (see figure below). When under throttle there is occasionally a popping and I can feel exhaust on my left leg. Is this potentially hazardous? Should I make this my priority?
    kawi leak.jpg

Any help is appreciated.
    Yamaha V Star 950 Touring
    Cum catapultae procriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt

Also there is a switch on the left grip by the turn signal controls marked M and A. What might this be for?

The M is for manual and the A is for auto (self canceling).

The clutch can be adjusted at the lever. Try to get some oil inside the cable if you can.

Might find this site to be helpful
    http://kzrider.com/archive/forumdisplay.php?fid=5

Check the flanges on the exhause they might need tightening. I wouldnt worry about the neutral bulb if your not keeping the bike a long time.

Are there any mods done to the exhaust or intake that would cause the popping.

Also since it is an old bike and maintenance is always questionable run some seafoam throughthe tank when you put fresh gas in. If it isnt running right carbs probably need cleaned.

Thanks for all the info!

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckMedic View Post
    Check the flanges on the exhause they might need tightening. I wouldnt worry about the neutral bulb if your not keeping the bike a long time.

Are there any mods done to the exhaust or intake that would cause the popping.

Also since it is an old bike and maintenance is always questionable run some seafoam throughthe tank when you put fresh gas in. If it isnt running right carbs probably need cleaned.
    I don't think there are any mods. Looks like someone tried patching a gap with some kind of sealant instead of replacing a gasket. Is there a gasket where the exhaust connects to the motor?

Do I have to find a kawasaki specific shop to get parts?

My bet is the clutch cable slack adjustment (on the bar) is too loose. That causes you to not get full travel from the ball/ramp rod and not enough seperation in the clutch plates. Causing it to "walk" with the clutch lever in.

With the exhaust leak... yes, fix it. Try tightening the flange nuts, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!!!!!!! Use common sense here, don't go grizzy adams on the nuts. Getting a snapped stud out of the head SUCKS, ask sprink!

If the tightening doesn't work, you may need a new exhaust gasket. Which is simple, drop the exhaust, replace gasket, rehang exhaust.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I just want to go home and start wrenching. Sometimes having to work for a living is a drag.

Tell your son to get to it then while your at work
    Formerly known as Rugby66x