Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A reality check on DHS ammunition purchases.

Default A reality check on DHS ammunition purchases.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...not-worry-you/

I'm quite familiar with IDIQ contracts, having sold to the government for over 20 years.

In the end, there is absolutely no truth to the statements permeating the Internet about how “DHS bought 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition last year.” That number was reached through either basic math errors or willful ignorance on the part of those who make a living by crying wolf. That this rumor has traveled so far in conservative circles is especially ironic given the fact that a) buying in bulk is a fiscally smart decision, and b) hiring more DHS (CBP) agents to, among other things, better protect the border means buying more ammunition.
    I personally believe that these planned purchases could contribute to the rising price of ammo, but only if you add in all the newbs who are rushing to purchase arms because they are afraid the government is going to take away something they never owned in the first place.
    Last edited by Kosher; 03-16-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

I agree Kosher.
    We have enough factual information.
    I try to stay away from speculation.
    Sometimes though it gets confusing in the mix.
    Be prepared but be realistic.
    That way you are prepared for the true enemy.
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

No one in their right mind would believe they've actually taken delivery of 1.6 billion rounds of ammo in the last few months, not even sure that's possible. But orders of that magnitude tend to tie up manufacturers. Between that and the panic buying ammo is scarce.

BTW, ammo prices haven't really gone up that much unless being artificially inflated at the stores. Magnum Force is still selling what they can get at their normal markup. There are leaches who will use abnormally high demand and low availability to make extra $. I've seen bricks of .22 Long rifle at gun shows for $60 while Magnum is less than half of that.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

who is a source you can trust? answer: no one.
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    who is a source you can trust? answer: no one.
    The internet of course!

Quote Originally Posted by sprink View Post
    The internet of course!
    Lincoln said the same thing
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

lol.. do you think al gore had any idea how powerful the internet was when he invented it?
    Redline Superbike

Something interesting. The interviewer obviously works for a conservative propoaganda news group, but the congressman's responses should be accurate.

Well, at least as accurate as a politician can be.

Which is not very accurate.

Oh well, take it for what you will. Video is about 2-1/2 minutes.

A U.S. Congressman was asked about the Department of Homeland Security’s purchase of 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition that the agency will stockpile over the near future, as confirmed by the Associated Press.

According to the video description posted by WeAreChange:

“At CPAC, Luke Rudkowski interviewed Congressman Timothy Huelscamp on his decision to vote against the NDAA which was due to the unconstitutionality of the indefinite detention provision. They also discussed Obama’s Disposition Matrix and the large ammunition purchases made by the DHS.”

Militarization of domestic police forces is not permissible under U.S. law; and specifically posse comitatus (mentioned during Rand Paul’s filibuster). DHS has some explaining to do and there will be plenty of people analyzing if its stockpiling of weapons and ammunition passes muster.

It is irrelevant matter whether one is suspicious or trusting of the federal government when it comes to enforcing the law. It is the executive branch’s obligation to report to Congress what activities it is undertaking in order to be in legislative compliance and to receive funding.

If the DHS can’t handle being under the supervision of Congress, it should be defunded without an apology to the administration or to the mainstream media. Such matters are extremely serious and fall outside the realm of partisan bickering.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/03/4250...llet-purchase/

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

DHS and the patriot act are a big fucking joke - both fueled by the false flag created by the war criminals who ran our government at the time.. they all should be tried for war crimes and handled appropriately..
    Redline Superbike

the thing I try to remember is that there is always going to be a reason for inflation if nothing more than the big shots need another multimillion dollar bonus. Just buy what you can store what you have and remember that when the zombies come, conserve ammo and only use melee weapons unless being completely overrun.
    Caveman

Here's my 10, my 2 are free