Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Man lift fee??

Default Gas Man lift fee??

Ya know guys, I work on a bunch of bikes. And as I have gone along, I have found I needed some tools. Last year I spent about $1000 on tools and a new air compressor. $500 of which on the compressor, air/water filter, and hose reel. The other money was on some normal hand tools, but lots of specialty tools. I offer my help, my $1500 lift, tools, and time... not for money. I do this for the love of motorcycles, the brotherhood of biking, and my passion for it. Same reason I spend about $250 a year on this site and have yet to ask for a penny back.

People come to me for many reasons...

• want to try it themselves, but want help
    • Don't know what to do, and know I can help
    • Are too scared to try
    • Believe in my saying "why pay somebody else to F up your bike when you can do the same for free".

Either way, they know that I will treat their bike as it was my own. Plus we ride together and know that I will be right there to help fix anything I can.

Well this year I'm starting to do these painted inner fairings... I have matched my fitted price to what Paul does them for, and that leaves me with about a $20-$25 "profit". That's it.

I've also thinking of enacting a $20 "lift fee". I don't care if it's a 2 hour oil change or a 10 hour set of bars. It's not about the money, and anybody that knows me, understands this. But I'm spending money all the time on these tools, and trust me it will cost you tons more at the dealer! I'm not making money off it, I'm spending it on tools, hence why I say it's a lift fee.

What do you guys think? Reasonable?

Oh, but this fee doesn't get you out of buying food and beverages, as any man is responsible for when a buddy is doing them a favor.
    Last edited by Gas Man; 03-03-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

I think that is more than reasonable....I have always appreciated everything you have done for me...not just on the Harley....but on the Big Dog as well

Agree, more than reasonable.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

I'm tossing around the idea... I can't say I have had people not give me something. A gift card to a favorite place to eat... or money or something...

I'm not 100% sold on the theory.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

I like the idea. My favorite part about working on bikes at gas man's place is his wife makes awesome pie. We both also feel that if you cuss at something long enough it will work. I would pay way more than 20 since working on bikes with friends especially a buddy with a nice lift and tools is priceless. You the man Chris.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

$20 being reasonable is an understatement !.......I've seen first hand ,like a few other of you guys have how Chris treats the bike projects that roll in his garage. Second to none and he knows his shit for sure!

I don't have $20 but my wife can give you a hand job.

Not to mention the meticulous documentary that ensures that every minute detail will be preserved in 8pm digial splendor, from the disassembly and careful layout and arrangement amidst the sparkling man garage, to each stage of every process involved in doing anything whatsoever to any object that requires the most obtuse attention in the known universe. Preserved for eternity for you exhaustive viewing pleasure, to share with the other 9 people on this forum.

20$ is more than fair Gas.....Especially if my work is saved in "8pm digial" must be something new..

Quote Originally Posted by Thruxtonbill View Post
    I don't have $20 but my wife can give you a hand job.

Quote Originally Posted by yoohoo View Post
    Not to mention the meticulous documentary that ensures that every minute detail will be preserved in 8pm digial splendor, from the disassembly and careful layout and arrangement amidst the sparkling man garage, to each stage of every process involved in doing anything whatsoever to any object that requires the most obtuse attention in the known universe. Preserved for eternity for you exhaustive viewing pleasure, to share with the other 9 people on this forum.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"