Thread: Anyone into sporting clays?

Default Anyone into sporting clays?

I've been shooting sporting clays off and on for the past couple years. I really enjoy the sport, currently I just borrow a gun. Now I'm ready to go out and get my own. I've narrowed it down to a small handful of shotguns but really looking to see if anyone has any opinions.

Requirements:
    Must cost no more than $1k
    Must be reliable
    Must have at least a 28" barrel or longer
    Must have the ability to swap out chokes

GO!

---
    Also post what you use to shoot sporting clays.

-Matt

OK, I went thru this about a year ago and here is what I found. I don't have $2500+ for a browning!
    I looked at some of the lower cost over/unders in the $5-$600 and was not impressed with the quality at all. What I ended up buying was a CZ Redhead Target.
    Good quality, 30" barrels, trigger selector and changeable choke tubes. I have been shooting this for almost a year now and love it.
    I shoot Trap, Skeet and have shot 2 rounds of Clays with it.
    I have let some of my more experienced freinds shoot it and they like it also.
    Lists for $1350. I paid $1050 at a local gun shop.

Here is the link: http://cz-usa.com/products/view/redhead-target/
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    OK, I went thru this about a year ago and here is what I found. I don't have $2500+ for a browning!
    I looked at some of the lower cost over/unders in the $5-$600 and was not impressed with the quality at all. What I ended up buying was a CZ Redhead Target.
    Good quality, 30" barrels, trigger selector and changeable choke tubes. I have been shooting this for almost a year now and love it.
    I shoot Trap, Skeet and have shot 2 rounds of Clays with it.
    I have let some of my more experienced freinds shoot it and they like it also.
    Lists for $1350. I paid $1050 at a local gun shop.

Here is the link: http://cz-usa.com/products/view/redhead-target/
    Yeah I have been borrowing a Citori but I don't want to drop that cash right now. I'll definitely look into the CZ, thanks for the tip! I'm currently leaning towards a Beretta A300 outlander; 28" barrel, semi-auto (eh) and $645 brand new. I've also looked at the Beretta 686 white onyx and the 391 but those are both on the higher side and also the Remington 1100.

I have a Mossberg 500 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel. I bought it about 20 years ago just cuz I thought it looked cool. Anyhow I do shoot skeet with it and have done trap as well. I do very good with this gun. I do have to get the trap as soon as they go because I have no chance for a distant shot. Here is a little video of my 12 year old daughter who weighs about 90 lbs. The first shot you'll see is the very first time she hit a clay. She has gotten a lot better. I've been working with her on shooting my rifle so at first she couldn't hit the skeet. I had to explain to her that she was being way too cerebral about it. Once she realized she couldn't take her time like she could with the rifle she honed it in. I explained that a partridge or a rabbit wasn't going to give her the time to aim.
    https://vimeo.com/61095434
    My current and previous rides.
    1984 Honda Ascot 500 rode for 3 months
    2001 Honda Shadow 750 7 years and 60,000 miles
    2007 Suzuki M109R 18 months and 17,000 miles
    2008 Kawasaki Concours 6 years and 70,000 miles
    2008 Yamaha Raider purchased March 10,2015

I've never shot sporting clays, but do shoot trap.

One thing you should look into: Trap guns have barrel ribs that are ramped so they shoot high. A couple of reasons; you always want to shoot the target while rising, and it allows you to keep the target in view instead of covering it with your front bead. I don't know if they use the same type of ramping on sporting clays or not. If so, ask for a 'trap gun' while shopping.

I also use a CZ for trap. Mine is a Mallard O/U with dual triggers. It is NOT ramped for trap, I just deal with it. I was also in a spot where I couldn't afford a Citori or some other overexpensive "gentlemen's" gun. I paid $550 for it at Magnum Force, new. Came with 5 chokes. It has dual triggers, which is kind of old fashioned, but I've been shooting a side by side for hunting all my life and am used to it.

Alcohol, Tobbaco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Geez you guys are looking for some fancy shot guns. I had a blast shooting sporting clays at multi lakes with an old stevens 20 gauge side by side.

I won a Stevens Model 512 Gold Wing 12 Ga. a couple weeks back an a gun raffle. If you are interested send me a pm.
    They sell at Dicks for $599. I put 50 rounds thru it and it shoots fine. I just don't need 2 over unders.
    Here is the link to the website.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...ENS512GOLDWING
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by ChefC14 View Post
    I have a Mossberg 500 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel. I bought it about 20 years ago just cuz I thought it looked cool. Anyhow I do shoot skeet with it and have done trap as well. I do very good with this gun. I do have to get the trap as soon as they go because I have no chance for a distant shot. Here is a little video of my 12 year old daughter who weighs about 90 lbs. The first shot you'll see is the very first time she hit a clay. She has gotten a lot better. I've been working with her on shooting my rifle so at first she couldn't hit the skeet. I had to explain to her that she was being way too cerebral about it. Once she realized she couldn't take her time like she could with the rifle she honed it in. I explained that a partridge or a rabbit wasn't going to give her the time to aim.
    https://vimeo.com/61095434
    Very cool to capture her first time hitting a clay!

I ended up with the Beretta A300 Outlander and I like it so far. I've put around 300+ rounds through it and it has been fine. Shot a 19/25 at 5 stand level 3 and 62/100 and 56/100 north course at bald mountain. Here's a crappy video of me at one of the stations.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by apex factor View Post
    Very cool to capture her first time hitting a clay!
    I was lucky. I try to record everything when we're shooting. I like them to see what they're doing. I have quite a bit of good video. One of my favs is when she shoots her first gallon milk jug full of colored water at 75 yards. We all erupt after the jug does.
    My current and previous rides.
    1984 Honda Ascot 500 rode for 3 months
    2001 Honda Shadow 750 7 years and 60,000 miles
    2007 Suzuki M109R 18 months and 17,000 miles
    2008 Kawasaki Concours 6 years and 70,000 miles
    2008 Yamaha Raider purchased March 10,2015