Thread: How to Break In an Engine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to Break In an Engine

THIS IS AN OPINION TOPIC- POST YOUR OPINION, YOU CAN DISAGREE, BUT NO INSULTS OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT.

POST ALSO ON EXPERIENCE. IF YOU ARE BASING YOUR COMMENTS ON WHAT YOUR BUDDY WHO RACES AS A PRIVATEER SAID OR WHO HAS A COUSIN THAT WORKS FOR HONDA/YAMAHA/SUZUKI/KAWASAKI/OTHER BRAND OR WHAT NOT, YOU CAN GIVE YOUR LIMITED HEARSAY KNOWLEDGE, BUT DON'T FLAME.

I HAVE BROKEN IN 7 ENGINES, 4 BIKES AND 3 CARS, WHILE A SMALL SAMPLE, I HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT METHODS AND THEY ALL HAVE WORKED WELL.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

This is a very hot topic... I decided to try this on my SM... let's see how it differs... my old SM was broken in by the book and figured WTH... Let the arguing begin...

I ALWAYS change my oil within the first 25-30 miles, then at 200... 600 then every 1.5-3000 depending on how bad the oil looks and the bike (SM only holds 1.9 qts... the X holds 4 qts)

I also ran it a little hard for a few miles (not like I stole it, just "spirited), up shifting and down shifting while using engine brake to slow down, no wheelies to keep the engine lubricated)... I don't think synthetic is a good thing for the first 5000 miles, IMO... My F4i ran Mobil 1 red cap Synth after 5k miles and it ran like a champ. My SM never got synthetic, but at 1.9 qts of oil, changes are cheap and I did them often... every 1500 miles or so. New filter every 3k miles.

Let's hear your thoughts.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Sh*t... WHAT A RIDE!"

Interesting stuff for sure..

Maybe it says somewhere on there but I read that with newer engines the tolerances are so much tighter due to better manufacturing equipment (better technology to produce the parts) that you don't need to break in an engine.. its good to go out of the crate..
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members