Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harley Davidson Painted Inner Fairings by Gas Man in Michigan

Default Harley Davidson Painted Inner Fairings by Gas Man in Michigan

installs done. I spoke to Paul in depth about his services and we came to the conclusion it would be better for me to just start being his "Michigan dealer". As a practice run I decided to do my own fairing...

My bike already being torn down changes it a bit but I was up for the task. Paul gave me a few tips and I placed my order... I shipped him a few of the smaller pieces, but there are other options...

Here's the low down...

1. You tell me you want an inner fairing painted
    2. Send me the year, model, and paint color
    3. Send me a pic of your paint
    4. I will send you back a quote and time frame (time is going to be 1-2 weeks depending on paint time and my schedule)
    5. You pay me and I place the order with Paul the painter.
    6. The fairing is shipped to my house
    7. You ride over with black dulness
    8. Approx 2 hours later...
    9. You ride away with painted hotness
    10. I ship your old fairing back to Paul as the core for the painted one he sent

Now if you want anything "extra" painted, we have to set that up before hand. Examples are hogtunes tweeter pods or mid frame heat shields. If Paul has a duplicate "extra" he can paint that and include it with the painted fairing. If not, you simply remove the part and send it to him and he will paint it and send it back. If you can't or don't want to try removing your extra yourself, we can work it out.

An idea at costs...

Harley Davidson costs are about

Batwing: $550 basic painted fairing + $300 install = $850++
    Shark: $1050 basic painted fairing + $400 install = $1400++
    Paul/Gas Man Fairing costs are about (subject to exact cost quote)
    >>Prices include all costs, but I will ask for you to help. Please remember I do this for the brotherhood, I'm not making money at these numbers. If you want to do a simple drop off and pick up when done, prices will go up.<<

Batwing: $325 basic painted fairing
    approx +$50 for candy/pearl paint

Shark: $550 basic painted fairing ($100 of this is added shipping costs OVER what a batwing shipping is!)
    approx +$100 for candy/pearl paint.

"Extras" costs
    $75+ to paint your heat shields
    $150+ to paint your tweeter pod & heat shields
    $200+ to buy a complete painted NEW hogtunes Tweeter Pod (check hogtunes, this is barely the cost of a plain new unit)

For those nay-sayers... as you can see below, this isn't some "custom matched junk paint". This is painted with Harley paint and will match perfectly! Further, I have cut my teeth wrenching on my bike and many others. I don't destroy bikes, I treat them like they are all my own.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND, THIS IS NOT A SIDE JOB FOR ME. I DO THIS FOR OUR FRIENDS HERE ON TWM, WE HANG OUT AND ENJOY BIKES AND GOOD COMPANY. IT'S THE GAS MAN GARAGE MANTRA. I DON'T MAKE MONEY ON THESE, I'M A HORRIBLE BUSINESS MAN BECAUSE I DO THIS FOR PASSION AND BROTHERHOOD NOT MONEY. IT'S A HOBBY OR LIFESTYLE NOT A JOB. CONSIDER THIS WHEN YOU CONTACT ME ABOUT PAINTED FAIRINGS. THANK YOU!!
    Last edited by Gas Man; 02-19-2014 at 10:20 PM.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Below is a snippet about my inner fairing job as part of my 2013 Mod Season

Painted inner fairing

Painted fairing cap (switches & key piece)

Painted Tweeter Pod

Painted mid frame heat shields

I will make a new thread on how any of you can get in on painted inner fairings and other bits. But for now, I'll continue to talk about my project.

So I quickly threw on the heat shields

You can see how perfectly matched the paint is. That is because Paul uses actual HD paint, not some "custom matched junk".

Now, my Tweeter Pod grills are still with Justin at Nasty Baggers so I can't completely assemble the pod, but I did what I could

I reinstalled the fairing cap switches

Well you guys know that if I'm at a place when/where it makes sense to do another mod, I will. Well, this painted fairing mod is just such a time/place...

I picked up a set of HD titanium face gauges (stock on the limited edition ultra's).

Tach up close

The titanium is a near match to my paint, which was unexpected.

Ordered my speedo with proper mileage on it.

So I got to work on the bike, and with a few loosened and removed bolts... some pushing and pulling... I had a fairing-less bike

Here's what came off
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Continued...

And a side by side comparo

So with the old gauge holders & parts, I start putting in the new gauges into the new fairing

After a few mins I have this beauty

With some more work, I get the new fairing wrestled back into place

I get the fairing cap installed

The new gauges have a nice white light to the numbers.

I get the mirrors and fairing side vents back on. Then I took off my folding cup holder because it would commonly rub the old fairing. NO WAY NOT NOW!!
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

You already know that I'm In!
    I'm going to go with the painted Hogtunes tweeter pod and the painted heat shields! Vivid Black ...2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited. I am also going to do the Street Glide Mirrors on the inner fairing...so I will need a fairing already set up for that...this way I can do away with the mirrors on the handlebars.

Last edited by Bagger Dave; 01-20-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typo

Good lord, there goes another $550. Maybe we can get it done when we do my audio?

Did he give you the secret knowledge of how to get it done in 45 minutes?
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

This is a great deal at these prices.....wow do these pieces look sharp! I'm gonna save a few bucks on this though since my fairings already color matched.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger Dave View Post
    You already know that I'm In!
    I'm going to go with the painted Hogtunes tweeter pod and the painted heat shields! Vivid Black ...2011 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited. I am also going to do the Street Glide Mirrors on the inner fairing...so I will need a fairing already set up for that...this way I can do away with the mirrors on the handlebars.
    Yeah Dave, I knew you were doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosher View Post
    Good lord, there goes another $550. Maybe we can get it done when we do my audio?

Did he give you the secret knowledge of how to get it done in 45 minutes?
    45 mins is for bat wings and I doubt I will do it that fast. Mine wasn't a good judge because it was torn down and I have so much junk under the lift, I couldn't put it down. Doing it up there sucked. It's definitely a job that needs to be done on the ground not the lift.

We can do that kosher. I believe yours is big blue pearl... Correct? If so you're correct $550. If you want to do this, shoot me an email and we can get the ball rolling. As the first shark he will have shipped. There is a chance for a slight increase. Yes, he's never shipped one. Guess the box is huge, but we don't expect any price issues, just putting that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesride View Post
    This is a great deal at these prices.....wow do these pieces look sharp! I'm gonna save a few bucks on this though since my fairings already color matched.
    Yeah that's an interesting aspect of the denim paint. It matches perfectly. Way cool.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Mine's Midnight Pearl - which is so blue its almost black. Which leaves me with another question - maybe I should just do gloss black? I guess matching is probably the best.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Go perfect match. Anything else would just be un-civilized.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosher View Post
    Mine's Midnight Pearl - which is so blue its almost black. Which leaves me with another question - maybe I should just do gloss black? I guess matching is probably the best.
    As chris told my buddy. Don't be gay sparky get color matched.

I can see how it would be a 45 min job on the bats after doing one it won't take nearly as long to do others. I'm glad you finally posted this chris after telling me because I thought it was so cool I didn't want to keep it a secret.

I'm with you moe on the color matched thing but I would like to see someone who painted theres on a denim bike (maybe a gloss color) because the painted ones look so much better they look more complete because the inner on our bikes is still just a little off the denim color to me.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x