Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: customizing the frame on an 80 gs 850

Default customizing the frame on an 80 gs 850

so i got an 80 gs 850 and the frame from same in case im so far off i need to start over
    what im going for more is lines then anything, i know what i want it to look like
    i lowered the forks a few inches, just so the suspension will bottom out without the wheel hitting
    im putting cone filters on and getting rid of the air box
    im going to modify the tank a little to make better lines
    the biggest change is im opening up the rear wheel
    i cut all the tubing off past the swing arm pivot and am planning a mono shock
    now i understand theres geometry involved, but like i said at the beginning, im after lines
    what im going to do is reinforce the plate in front of the wheel and mount my shock to that and then up to a mount point near where the tank bolts down
    my question is to those who have tackled similar projects
    if im not especially concerned with the amount of travel i get, so ling as its shy of being a hard tail. are there any critical flaws in my plan?

theres one other question, when building the exhaust, id like to bring it out both sides, the stock exhaust has a cross over running the center 2 together, is removing that going to cause problems? most people i see go 4 into 1... pros and cons to that?
    any other relevant info on exhaust?
    also, carbs, how hard are they to rejet so the bike runs right with the cone filters and a freer flowing exhaust?

Post up an intro and be sure to include pictures and then it sounds like you need to make friends with junkyard. and as always
    Formerly known as Rugby66x

i just got home from the doctor's & gotta get to work. i'll reply when i get home. you can have lines and make it work. jetting is easy.

exhaust, 4-2 will work fine. reason factories use 4-1 is the best power combo. i hope you run some baffles at least ! open pipes get old fast unless it's a parking lot cruiser... jetting will be the very last thing to mess with which isn't hard, just a little time in fine tuning. cone filters kinda suck because of the cross wind & suck too much air, but there are ways to minimize it. little shields on the inside of the filter and you'll be good to go. most pods can be bought at the auto parts store but don't telling anybody that, they like paying more from a motorcycle place.... unless you buy the real cheap one's from ebay.

i need a pic of what you did to the swingarm. you can have form & function but i need pic's.

Welcome!
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Default picts

bike1.jpgexhaust.jpgbike2.jpgbike3.jpg

i still need to add the mounting brackets, ill hold off on that till i find the shock im going to use

i don't see a problem there. i was worried you cut the right side of the arm off, wasn't sure from your post lol. what size shock are you looking for? i have a few laying around from sport bikes which i'd guess your gonna run. what city you from?

im in st cloud mn, 13-14 inch would be ideal and the smaller diameter the better

i may need a tank too, i cut mine in half to modify it a little, that seems to have been a bad idea, im gunna try brazing it before i give up on it, i just need to go buy brazing rods, but my little lincoln cant seem to find a balance between burning through and penetrating nice
    doh