Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GROUP Iron Butt - Great American High 5 - Sep 29-30, 2012

With the new route..

It's 10 hours/538 miles to St Ignace. That puts us there about 8pm. Extended stop for food... Being the half way point and turn to night.

++4.5 hours/240 miles get's us to Bay City

Add long stops for gas, and food...
    Probably St. Ignace abt 2100 (9pm)
    Bay City abt 0100

There's 5 more hours of riding after Bay City, rolling back to start about 6-7am

I'd like to aim for 22-23 hours for completition. Give us an hour to spare. Would suck to miss it by 30mins.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Well, this looks promising.... I am off that weekend, right after the training week. Ok, so, will there be a stop every 100 mi for the peanut tank? or could we redda gas him and extend his reach a bit? If we do have those stops more often they will have to be quick ones so we don't fall off the schedule too much. What time of morning are you lookin to leave the house for? Who will be our "Witness" We gonna use the wifey's or Roger at the Citgo? He could be a little unreliable. and why both days if its only 19 hours?
    BLAM Shotgun blast of questions
    Caveman

Here's my 10, my 2 are free

Awesome... if you're in we're set. I always need my most reliable co-capt/road mate. <meant in most non-ghey way possible>

The peanut tank... by the time we redda gas can it, we could just jump off, top off, and jet. Say do an every other gas stop being longer.
    • Don't get off bike gas stop
    • get off bike, eat/drink gas stop
    • don't get off bike gas stop
    I was thinking 9am leave. We need people to be well rested to start. Like don't go out friday night and party. Sleep a bunch.

For witness, we could use a wifey. Roger works afternoon shift so he won't help. I had the same initial idea and same concerns. Rules state we can use a spouse so no worries.

The time frame if we leave at 9am is obviously, we have to be done by 9am the next day (Sunday). It's a hair over 19 hours in straight drive time. Factor in gas stops, eat, drink, piss, etc... Like I said, I'd like to get in under the wire, like 22-23 hours.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

Also, it should be noted... EVERYBODY needs to get gas with a credit/debit card at the start & end of the ride. PERIOD. Those two stops are crutial and both need to be time stamped and witnessed.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

It's been plotted into the GPS. Yea!!!
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

maybe next year. i have a ride with hellgirl comming up on the20th of this month. we are heading to logansport, in then bordman,oh. form there its onward to frackvliie, pa.
    then there is the detroit to french lick,in and over to wintersville,oh starting sept 01

maybe next year. i have a ride with hellgirl comming up on the20th of this month. we are heading to logansport, in then bordman,oh. form there its onward to frackvliie, pa.<BR>then there is the detroit to wintersville,oh and over to french lick,in starting aug 31. i might cheat and just go to french lick from here

Interesting idea/discussion here.

What are we going to do in case of a break down?

We can't abort the trip for everybody for a break down or tire flat.

I would also like some "on-call" roadside helpers. Your brother/brother-in-law/dad/etc standing by with a truck/trailer??

Ok, we need figure this out...
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Custom don't bolt on!"

only problem i have is no speedo=no mileage. 1000 miles is not that bad.. i cleared 800 miles in 10 hours before with stopping for gas and smoking a sig everytime lol. then i had to explain i was on my way home from N.C.

I could make sure I have my truck Ready to go with a full tank of gas and possibly see if the girl friends dad will loan me the enclosed trailer to be on stand by. I just don't think I could have anyone on standby to use it.
    Formerly known as Rugby66x