Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportsbikers aches/pains?

Default Sportsbikers aches/pains?

Im curious if any of you sports bike riders get aches or pains while riding. I know owning a sports bike, especially one of the older originals, the ergos are not exactly the most comfortable out there.

Im just curious if you guys have any common or re-accruing issues.

I had knee surgery over the summer so i might be having issues with that.

Anything?
    ~Boomer, 2001 SV650s.

Default Re: Sportsbikers aches/pains?

My back was the worst for me when I had a sport bike. Took a while to get used to it. Also the seat was a piece of cardboard practically. I can see why your knees would hurt.

All kidding aside, have you considered picking up something more ergonomically fit... like a supermoto or standard?

Those can be options you can look into.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Sh*t... WHAT A RIDE!"

I thought aches/pains come with the territory. I sold my Triumph Legend last summer and replaced it with a Kaw z750s - not a crotch rocket, but not really a standard, either. The Triumph had an upright riding position (i.e., that of a 'proper' English motorcycle). The only issues I had on that bike, really, was a little carpal-tunnel numbness in my throttle hand. A ThrottleRocker helped alleviate most of it.

When I got the Kaw, I was in for a rude awakening, the riding position is much different. First thing I did was to add some GenMar handlebar risers (up 1.5", back 1") which makes for a much more comfortable position. Then there was the stock seat. After about 30 mins. on that slab and my rear end was KILLING me so badly, I thought I'd be forced to sell the bike.

I found a Corbin and began using it immediately. Despite all that I'd heard about how great Corbin seats are, it is WORSE than the stock seat, MUCH worse. Corbin should be held criminally liable for making a thinly disguised (and thinly padded) Gitmo Torture Device.

Not one to be easily discouraged, I rode the Corbin for a good 1,000 miles, figuring 'it was me', and that I needed to learn how to position myself and that I"d get used to it. The worst aspect of the Corbin is that it angles me toward the tank. That means every time I go over a bump, it throws me against the tank. As you might imagine, this ends up involving a very sensitive area of my body. I was pulling over, every 10 miles or so, to adjust The Boys because of the battering they were being subjected to.

Anyway, I finally put the stock seat back on, out of desperation, and found it a lot more tolerable than the Corbin. Not comfortable, mind you, but tolerable. Not sure why, if my butt toughened up, or I am just positioning myself differently. On the Kaw, I have had to learn how to hold the tank between my knees, something that was not necessary on the Triumph.

As for other aches and pains? Actually, seeing as I'm not exactly young, I have my share of them even when I'm not riding. What I do find is that after a half hour, or so, out in the countryside, all my 'other' aches/pains seem to melt away. That must be the therapeutic value of riding a motorcycle, regardless of make or model.

I ride a Katana 750, it is considered a sport touring bike. It sits up a little more than the SS bikes.
    I did a 1200 mile trip in three days this past summer and did not have any problems with my back.
    I would definitely suggest a sport touring if you are interested into a sport bike with comfort. They are usually a little heavier then SS bikes, but great on the e-way and well worth it, for one like me who has four compressed herniated vertebras, and a thing for SS bikes.
    04 Suzuki GSX750F KATANA
    Wide open till you see God............then Brake

my sport bike is very comfortable and i can ride it all day
    william

Quote Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard
    Wait what?

hahaha... Doc... funny...

You ride the bike "like" a sportbike...
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy Sh*t... WHAT A RIDE!"

My cruiser is much more comfortable than my sportbikes.
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned.

I have a 1998 ZX7R. I tighten my tummy and squeeze my knees and I can outride a lot of cruisers... I don't think they make a pure all around bike.... I'm sure you have to give up someone to make other gains??
    I don't wanna have it all....* I just wanna have enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by Berto
    Quote Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard
    Wait what?

hahaha... Doc... funny...

You ride the bike "like" a sportbike...
    haven't you ever heard of a goldwing GT ;D
    william

I know you can ride the snot out of that Wing Doc.

Kaw Boy, those ZX7's, I've seen those things MOVE... You do have to make compromises with everything, you are right.

With my F4i I had enough power to go as fast as I wanted but the cardboard seat on the reply racer form was brutal. I managed to take numerous road trips on that bike still... 2400 miles in 4 days was my "best" effort.

The VTX, comfort for 700-800 mile days. Power to make you go as fast as needed but still control. No back pain and legs stretched out so my crappy knees don't hurt. But I manage to scrape hard parts with that bike without trying and the stopping power is not to my liking. It has awesome brakes, but I am more used to the bite from a high performance ride. Awesome bike, but I like pushing my bike a little harded than this bikes lets me.

The DRZ was and is the bike that fits my needs the most, but like everything, it has compromises. The 120 mile range is not the best... with 2.1 gallons of a tank, what do you want? The seat is like sitting on a 2x4... but the brakes are top notch, bike is a light 295 lbs, 398cc will only yield about 36-39HP depending on mods, but enought to push the bike at 70-75mph if need be and a top end of about 100MPH. I sit up on it with high bars, so no back pain, and legs are not crunched up like on a sportbike, so my knees don't hurt when riding. It is the bike for my style, everyone has their bike, you just have to research.

There are compromises with every and any bike you look at . I found ways around the short comings of the DRZ and VTX.