Thread: Smokey Mountains and back

Default Smokey Mountains and back

Smokey Mtn Ride 008.jpgSmokey Mtn Ride 005.jpg

My wife and I left last Wednesday after work and got back Sunday afternoon. We had a graduation open house to attend in Tipp City, Ohio on Saturday. So we decided to take a couple extra days and ride over to Virginia and do a little riding in the Appalachian Mtns. It was a blast. We stayed in West Virginia Thursday and Friday night. This was her first big trip on her own bike and she did great. We put a little over 1600 miles on, with over 350 a day for 4 days in a row. The cabin pic is a B&B we stayed at in West Virginia. Here is a map of the route, mostly all 2 lane with a little bit of freeway here and there:

http://mapq.st/KI12cL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't ever let common sense get in the way of a good disaster

Thats awesome! glad you guys had a great ride cool pics

Very nice, yall are certainly representing! Looks like a very fun trip. I sure wish my wife would ride with me, but she's got this thing about our kids not having 2 dead parents.

I'm headed down to Atlanta for work in July, so I'm going to stay over night in Knoxville and do the Dragon the next morning.

Any advice for riding in those mountains? I'm afraid I'm going to piss people off because I will ride my ride and not in any way try to set any speed records
    Last edited by Kosher; 05-28-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    _________
    Roll away the dew...

Kosher, don't worry about pissing people off, most of the people there are really friendly. We didn't set any speed records in the mountains. But there are passing lanes and truck pull offs, when traffic started backing up behind us, we would pull into a truck pull off, passing lane, or scenic turnout and let the traffic by. You have to ride at your own comfort level if your gonna stay safe and enjoy it. The locals absolutely fly up and down those mountains, but 99% of them didn't tailgate us. One thing I found is the suggested speeds are alot closer than they are here. Here when a curve says 25 mph, you can quite often take it at 50+. That isn't the case in the Appalachians, when they suggest 25 it means 25-35. We also stayed out of the really steep stuff at night. Make sure your brakes are in good shape, you'll use them. Chain or belt adjustment should be right on too, some places are really steep for a long way, so there is alot of torque on the belt or chain. Our cell phones worked most places, we used my wife's smart phone for a map, it worked good most of the time. The only other thing I can think of is, when you get stuck behind a semi, give him alot of room. I noticed the locals would give the big trucks 100 feet or more. I rode part of the Smokies once before, but this was my wife's first time. She was a little intimidated before we left to go, but its not like you get dropped off in the middle of it. In southern Ohio it starts to get hilly and twisty and just gradually builds. By the time you get to the Smokies your warmed up for it. She did great, and she had a blast and she is already planning our return trip.

The Dragon is right near the south end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, are you planning on riding the Parkway back north on your way home? We're thinking about taking a week off in September to go down and ride the Dragon, then ride the Blue Ridge Parkway back.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

Good luck and have a safe trip! Its a blast, you'll have a good time.
    Don't ever let common sense get in the way of a good disaster

Good on ya, looks like you guys had fun.

That is a great way to make a riding vacation out of prior engagement.
    ^^My $0.02 not yours^^
    -Chris
    aka Gas Man

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
    "Custom don't bolt on!"

Great trip! Shoulda stayed a little longer...

Were heading down the 22nd of June. Only my second time there, but I'd put it up the the best riding I've ever had. Way better than Sturgus in that regard.

Appalachia? don't they have a football team? maybe we could get them up here to play michigan one of these days - doh!

looks like an awesome trip... good call on taking a couple extra days.. i am heading down to Appalachia in the fall..
    Redline Superbike
    http://www.redlinesuperbike.com/

Learn about photography: ATP Members